Toshiba Satellite L655D will not boot up

tvdxer

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I bought this notebook (Toshiba Satellite L655D S5055) in August 2010 as my old notebook had fallen from my car's roof while driving (long story) and it was the cheapest one I could find at OfficeMax, on sale at the time for $399.99. It served me adequately, with a few problems (such as the infamous loose DC jack connection, which never became so loose as to not work), until December 27, 2011. I left the laptop on my bed, on, and ran to Wal-Mart for a short errand that night. When I came back, it had suspended to disk (or appeared so). Pressing keys did not turn it back on, so I thought that it had crashed while suspending, as it had before a few times. I powered it off and then back on, but the screen did not turn on. I powered it off a second time, and then turned it back on, and:

- The power light was on (as usual), but not the battery light, even when I was running it off battery power. However, when I attached the charger, the charge light came on
- The hard drive did not spin, nor did the hard drive light come on (at least for more than a split-second)
- The screen remained dark
- The fan turned on, and ran continuously
- It did not make any beeps as usual when booting
- The DVD-RW drive seems to work as usual (spins, seeks, etc.)

It has done this whenever I tried to start it up.

Is my laptop now brain dead? Or could it be something simpler? Please tell me.

Hello tvdxer;

The screen staying dark and lack of the usual single beep of a successful POST (power on self test) is hinting at some major problem.
But I can't pinpoint any specific part or think of anyway to troubleshoot the problem.

HowardB_Z06

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Disk fragmentation is a natural occurrence and is constantly accumulating each and every time you use your computer. In fact, the more you use your PC, the more it builds-up fragmentation and over time your PC is liable to experience random crashes, freeze-ups and eventually the inability to boot up at all.

You might find this paper of interest:
http://downloads.diskeeper.com/pdf/Windows_IT_Pro_Reliability.pdf

Thanks,

HowardB