Toshiba Satellite Only Charges When Off And Won't Run On AC Power Only

hdt32

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016
I apologize if this has been answered but I couldn't find a thread that fit what I was working with. Here's what's going on.

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite that I've had for about four years or so. I've been through a few batteries and AC adaptors throughout its life and have never had an issue with them. Just in the past two or three weeks, something weird has been going on.

- When the laptop is on, running and plugged in, the charging light blinks and the icon in the corner goes from just running on battery power + percentage left to percentage left + plugged in not charging.
- When laptop is off/sleeping, it charges without a problem.
- When I attempted to bypass this and just plug it in without a battery and have it run on AC power alone, it won't run more than three minutes, then it shuts down.
- I have already tried the turn it off, take battery and adaptor out, press power for 20-30 seconds and put everything back. Needless to say, it didn't work.

The weird aspects:
- It turns on without a problem and runs like normal. Just can't make it charge while it's on.
- It does charge fully when it is off and the battery life doesn't seem to deplete faster than normal when it runs.
- I have purchased both a new battery and a new power adapter and the problem happens with any combination of new and/or old.

I'm open to any suggestions or help. This is a secondary computer I use mostly for gaming and would really rather not have to spend a ton of money and take it in.

David Allan

Estimable
Feb 25, 2015
I have this exact problem and it seems like it might be the D.C. Jack from reading around the internet.

Doesn't seem to be the ac chord or battery and I've had to position the chord in various ways the last few months to get it to charge when on.

Am I correct in thinking it to be the jack and on a Toshiba L850 satellite laptop is the D.C. Jack hard to replace yourself?

Thanks.

Great site.

Dave