Toshiba Satellite P50-C-128 No display after force shut down

Adam187a

Estimable
Jan 21, 2016
I was trying to install windows 7 on my laptop, I noticed it kept botting into windows instead of loading the USB drive, so everytime it did that I would force shut it down. (hold power button) now it's come to a state where pressing the power button only starts up to a blank screen. No backlight or anything. Just black, tried to plug it into a monitor, still black. Changed ram, still black, tried the battery trick, still black. Did I mess up the BIOS...?

Is it repairable or have I completely damaged the motherboard?? All replies are appreciated...

Solution
The problem is, I don't think you can really mess up a bios setting like that to where you can't see anything at all just by turning off the computer, lol. You already named every potential solution I would have told you, and none of them worked. It isn't looking good from this point, as I can't think of anything else you could try.

Solution: He tried one stick of RAM and it worked. My bad. I thought he had already tried just one stick so I assumed it was the mobo.

n9neman

Estimable
Aug 2, 2014
Oh, boy. It seems you may have damaged the motherboard somehow. Especially since the screen itself, NOR the backlight is turning on. On top of this, it not showing anything on a monitor. So that's multiple things already messed up. The board is more than likely done for. Unless anyone else has something for you to try.

n9neman

Estimable
Aug 2, 2014
The problem is, I don't think you can really mess up a bios setting like that to where you can't see anything at all just by turning off the computer, lol. You already named every potential solution I would have told you, and none of them worked. It isn't looking good from this point, as I can't think of anything else you could try.

Solution: He tried one stick of RAM and it worked. My bad. I thought he had already tried just one stick so I assumed it was the mobo.

Solution

Adam187a

Estimable
Jan 21, 2016
Aww okay. I never knew this would have ended so badly. Shame because I only got the laptop recently and didn't like windows 10, never have I faced a problem where windows would override the USB boot sequence to the point I'd shut it down to try again and again. So let's assume the computer is dead, what would have went kaput? The bios chip?

n9neman

Estimable
Aug 2, 2014
To me it sounds like the board ITSELF is entirely kaput'd. As the backlight won't work, the screen itself won't work at all, and also you couldn't even get display from connecting it to a monitor. That's a lot of things going wrong, which points to the board being shit on. And were you trying to boot from the USB by going into the boot menu?

Adam187a

Estimable
Jan 21, 2016
Yes I was, during boot I was trying to get it to boot to the USB instead of the actual windows so everytime it went to windows I would try a new key to mash but only after holding the power button to force a shutdown. Bad idea :X are you sure it's the board? I think this happened once or twice before when I was doing this and it worked again instantly after....

Adam187a

Estimable
Jan 21, 2016
Hey, it worked with one stick of ram. I bought a pair of 16GB Crucial DDR3L couple days ago and it was working fine ever since. Force shutdown seemed to have killed that... One stick of that ram boots it up and resets the bios' time and date. Two sticks brings me back to this burden. Found out, it was actually one of the sticks. So much relief, I had to disconnect every single thing on the motherboard, even the hard drive, then plug in one stick of ram without the hard drive and connect everything else and power the computer ok WITHOUT the hard drive. Up to the bios is loads where it tells me the date and time is wrong. I'm returning this ram, definitely. Thanks so much for your help!

n9neman

Estimable
Aug 2, 2014

Glad to hear it.