Question Toshiba Satellite S50 problems booting

Sep 2, 2024
I have an aging Toshiba Satellite S50-B-12Q that frequently fails to boot. What happens on power up is the power button and keyboard lights up... and that's it. Nothing appears on screen, it appears dead.

When it does boot, and it does so sometimes, the Toshiba logo appears then Linux Mint boots up. This is a laptop that's been running Linux happily for quite a few years until recently.

I tried replacing the battery, guessing the original battery is probably too old, that doesn't seemed to have helped. Next suggestion I've heard is to try reseating the memory - though it's never been touched. I did manage to run MEMTEST86 and that passed one pass of testing.

I thought maybe plugging in a HDMI device into it might make a difference and it did boot ok, but then stopped again.

I'm wondering what to try next or is the laptop just destined for the scrap heap. When it does boot, it works fine... until you reboot it.

Sep 2, 2024
I tried reseating the memory, it is still failing to boot as before. It seems it boots fine after being left for over 12 hours unused.