Toshiba Unveils TVs with Battery Backup

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have a 42" LCD that's about 3 years old and the power draw to it is by far greater than any other component in my system. How do I know? My APC J10 has a load meter. With the TV on, I have about 11 minutes of runtime, using about 330W. With just the DVR, 70 minutes, 80W. The receiver does not use more than about 50W at normal volume levels.

These TVs are going to weigh a ton.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
this is so dumb...you have the batteries for the TV but your digital cable box is down....so how does this work? not to mention that if your power is out most of the time the box outsite from where all the spliters brach off to different house is also off, therefore no signal will be comming through the cable. epic failure, lol

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
To all the idi0ts here suggesting this is a useless product, it just goes to show how quick you are to judge, without knowing where the market for a specific product exists.

If I was still working in China (mainland), or living in Phuket, Thailand (like I did for 18months), I'd be very interested to own one of these.

Sometimes the power is out for a few mins, to a couple of hours (nice choice in making it last 2hrs), and MOST people there, watch their tv from what they receive from the antenna. FACT.

So YES, this is a step in the right direction, of combating the annoaying black outs that are a common part of Asia.

Of course, they could just re-design their power system, and make it easier for everyone, but that wouldn't prevent the dunk in a pickup from crashing into your local power telegraph pole at night...and ruining the last 45mins of your film.

Have a rotten day dumbos!

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
[citation][nom]Prince_Porter[/nom]Generally when you're power goes out, so does the signal to whatever you were watching. Unless you're watching a movie, or have Tivo, doesn't seem too useful.[/citation]
Not always true. Most cable providers, especially ones that offer telephone, have battery/generator back-ups on their nodes so that service stays up when the power drops. In fact if you had your modem on a UPS or generator you could surf the web when the power was out.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
During the Hurrican Ike I was in Houston, Texas and I used a battery powered, analog, 9 inch, CRT TV to keep up with local news (rabbit ears antenna). I've been looking for a replacement now that Houston TV stations only broadcast digital. I haven't found an ideal solution. The portal TVs I've looked at have horible reception capabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.