Toshiba's 13-inch Tablet Has a Built-In TV Tuner

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I hope that they put a less fragile screen than they did on the Toshiba Thrive. I would consider getting it especially if if came with all the connectivity and user serviceability of the Toshiba Thrive.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
a few years ago, my mom purchased a tiny tv radio, no screen, ran on a button cell battery, picked up AM, FM, and TV (audio only), it was $2 at the flea market and worked pretty well though it was a bit useless. It was about the size of a ipod shuffle

radio receivers are not expensive and they can be made very small.

also why can't over the air tv stations just broadcast their channelling real time over a live stream online?

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Good luck getting it to pick up anything past across the street >_[/citation]

no problem

The antenna is not the tuner.

An entire PC operated AM/FM/TV tuner can fit on a standard USB thumb drive with room to spare. By now they might even be able to fit it onto an SD card. Extending the spectrum a bit does not increase the size much at all, if any. Tuner software resides on your PC hardware, not the tuner hardware.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Good luck getting it to pick up anything past across the street >_[/citation]

I am not an electrical engineer but if I am not mistaken a lot of the reception quality has to do with the quality of your antenna. So a larger tablet should actually be an advantage as you have more room for a decent size antenna.

Anyone in here know more about this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.