touch screen not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltbeer

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
toshiba s 55t laptop touch screen has stopped working. Have deleted and reinstalled windows 10 and reset to factory default but problem not solved. any suggestions?

Some things to try if your touchscreen doesn't work...

1. Restart the computer. Sometimes that is all that it needs.

2. Wipe off the display with a soft, clean cloth. Yes, sometimes it is just that.

3. Go to "Start" and in the search box type "Calibrate the screen for pen or touch input". Choose the top result. In this new screen click "Setup" and follow the instructions.

4. Go to "Control Panel" and then "Device Manager". Select the "Monitors" section and right click on your monitor. Check the information for the touch screen and make sure it is "enabled".

5. Repeat step 4, but instead choose "Update driver software" from the right-click menu.

ltbeer

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
Tried these suggestions. All updates are current for Windows 10 and touch screen is enabled but still not working. I think a new update for Windows 10 is needed to address this problem.

mg3796

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
I have the same problem: touch screen not working on Toshiba Satellite L30W.
I'm running Windows 10 64 bit.
System Control Panel says "No Pen or Touch Input is available for this Display"
Device Manager does not list a "HID-compliant touch screen", so I can't re-install the driver
Toshiba website does not list a specific driver for the touch screen
Troubleshooter for "hardware and devices" does not identify the problem.
I've gone into the BIOS but there's nothing there related to touch screen.
Googling identifies possible conflict relating to "ghost" drivers but I can't find anything indicating which specific driver might cause a conflict and I am reluctant to randomly uninstall drivers.

Any ideas?

Reactions: mssharpe

mg3796

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
Thanks for your suggestion. The problem it is: I can't identify which driver the touch screen uses, because:
- Device Manager does not list a "HID-compliant touch screen" device
- The Toshiba website does not list a driver for the touch screen.
Since my last post I have tried un-installing all devices under "Human Interface Devices", and rebooting to re-install the drivers. But that hasn't fixed it.

Reactions: mssharpe

dynoatlanta

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

I have started having a very similar problem with my S55T. Some months ago the mouse cursor would stop working, but using the Settings menu I could restart it. Then two months ago, my touchscreen would stop working. When I went into Device Manager, it would not even show up in the Human Interface Devices. So I could not re-enable it. But after some amount of time (sometimes hours, sometimes days) the touchscreen starts working again and is present in the Device Manager again. I have tried driver updates but nothing seems to work. I have no solution yet.

Rone57

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017

I have the same problem. tried all known solutions no luck. Note that on last update in August it did not migrate. Even replaced the digitizer glass, still no success. So so several days of trouble shooting and $100 down the drain for what? For Toshiba to offer no solutions.

I think that we Toshiba users (or whatever make of laptop you have) have now got to start yelling very loud at the manufacturers and Microsoft. They need to respond and stop burying their heads in the sand, otherwise we boycott their products period.

In New York - Apple and Other Big Tech Companies quashed the Fair Repair Bill. Since the 1990's, I have seen Apple, Microsoft, Sony, Sieko, Toshiba, Samsung, and others knowing manufacture and sell hardware that will not work with the new operating system. I remember when Sony and Microsoft bundled CD rom player with Win 98 that would not work and 10 of thousands of Egghead customers got stuck with $150 of hardware that would not work. I remember when Windows XP came out hundred of our Cross Pad and Seiko Pad devices stopped working because Microsoft refused to share code with Cross and Seiko. 100s of $500 Pads became paperweights and 1000s of man hours wasted because the handwriting to text devices no longer worked.

Big tech profits with its deliberate self created obsolescence and they further pollute our planet at your expense. Further all the manufacturers should have to pay the recycling costs. They create the obsolescence and I have to pay the $25 recycling fee in my county.

When car companies did this behavior, we passed lemon laws. Computers are no different. Its our hard earned money going to waste for their greed.

We need to get pro-active. Push our elected officials to implement a new bill to force Tech Giants to support their products hardware and software alike with backward compatibility and updated drivers. Otherwise , the fines and taxes should equal the profits made by creating obsolescence.

Status
Not open for further replies.