Touchpad Clicking Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

narco

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Hello,
I recently got a new laptop as a surprise graduation present. It is an Alienware 18 laptop. I've looked into all the settings that I can see, but i can not find one that fixes the problem. Whenever I use the laptop's keyboard, it disables the left mouse button on the touchpad for roughly a second. It is running on Windows 8.1, and has a i7 4700MQ, 770M SLI, 750gb HDD, and 8gb DDR3 ram.
Thanks for any help!

Solution
Found it out! It is a feature in Windows 8.1. Under PC Settings, Mouse and Touchpad, then under Touchpad put "No Delay"!

narco

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
tapping still works, and the Synaptic toolbar shows that my left mouse button is pressed, even when it is not working. It seems like it is software wise.

Try an alternate driver version then. If yours isn't current, update; if it's current, try installing the last version prior to the current one.

I see you're using Windows 8.1; to be honest, there are quite a few driver problems. If there is no other available driver, or others don't work, you might want to contact Dell/Alienware support about it - if nothing else, to bring it to their attention and see if others are reporting anything likewise.

narco

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Well, a call to Alienware Tech Support (I clearly stated the problem multiple times, he just didn't understand). Alienware Tech Support finally told me that the problem cant be disabled. Seeing how the "fix" he told was fully disabling the touch pad, i have a feeling that there is a way to fix. Dunno tho, the problem seems so much like a software problem.

dslomer64

Estimable
Feb 27, 2014
I've been frustrated with this occasional problem for six years on a Dell Inspiron N7110. Temporary fix was always go into Control Panel > Mouse and play with the touchpad options until finally something changed to make single-clicking a reality again. This happened about every 3 months, until recently when it went to every week.

So I got the nerve to Uninstall the mouse driver (but NOT DELETE the mouse driver SOFTWARE!). Twice now, this worked (out of two times). Rebooting TWICE is part of the process (in Windows 7), but I just do something else. At least I know (believe) that this is going to work and I won't have to waste my time playing with the touchpad options.

(Of course, I looked for [and so did Windows] an updated driver. Nope. I have latest version.])

Status
Not open for further replies.