Touchpad quit working after cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

gladosportal21

Prominent
Oct 26, 2017
So I had to clean my laptop's touchpad (It's a dell inspiron 15 I think), because I used it with oily fingers. So I grabbed a wet paper tissue, as usual, and cleaned it. First it started to glitch, jump around, lag behind, and now it doesn't work. Anything else seems to work fine, it charges, all ports work, keyboard also, and no random shutdowns. I don't think I shorted something inside, but I'm not sure. I think it Might be to do something with the actual plane of the pad. *Update* The left click works, but the right click kind of also, but it registers as a left click.

Solution

Some moisture got in a place it shouldn't and seemingly it did little or no damage (if the function is coming back). Please it open with the keyboard DOWN in a warm dry place for a while, should help.

bjornl

Estimable
If you have the technical skill to open the PC and check the connectors for touch pad, that might be worth doing. Otherwise I am pretty sure you shorted out the touch pad. They are very cheap if you want to self-service. And not very expensive if you want to send it in. Or use a bluetooth mouse until you feel like fixing it or tossing it for a new one.

gladosportal21

Prominent
Oct 26, 2017
Thank you for the answer, but it just randomly started working after leaving it open for a few hours. It was a bit glitchy first, with inputs all over the place, and switching the left and right clicks, but it seems good now. But I'll still go ahead and get it looked at a professional shop, just to be on the safeside (and it needed a RAM upragade also). Maybe any idea how this could happen?

bjornl

Estimable

Some moisture got in a place it shouldn't and seemingly it did little or no damage (if the function is coming back). Please it open with the keyboard DOWN in a warm dry place for a while, should help.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.