Touchscreen Smudges Could Reveal Passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

adikos

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
yeah this is nothing new. its not limited to just smartphones with pattern keys but can give away your passcode/key to doors and other devices that require to to touch buttons. an old company i worked for clearly used its address as the code since those were the buttons with their writing nearly rubbed off.

that said, i take care to wipe my phones touch screen off regularly during the day even though it rarely leaves my pocket/sight.

michaelssw

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
See this is exactly why i got an iphone, if i can't hold it then no one can guess my password, betcha stupid androids don't have that feature.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
The first thing I though of when I read this article was the mission in the first Splinter Cell where you have to use the heat goggles to get past the numeric keypad after the guard goes through the door.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Anyone who lets the phone out of their sight is an idiot!
Hmmm, if they had time to sit there and fiddle with your phone and get your data, they would have had enough time to turn it off and slip it into their pocket.
If the issue was the data then you are placing way too much expectations on the data security of the phone OS. Even if this was a Windows notebook most people could attach the HDD as a secondary drive and read all the data.
So what exactly then is issue - were you expecting impregnable self destruct type security? Me, I would be more pissed off I lost a very decent phone.

duffymoon

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
[citation][nom]boxter987[/nom]Looks like somebody rewatched National Treasure...[/citation]

I find that difficult to believe...

Status
Not open for further replies.