Toyota Debuts Plug-In Prius Hybrid

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Finite resources, like what is used in the production of the batteries? Anything that is saved per person (on average) in gasoline/fossil fuels, is burned up per production per vehicle. So while the end consumer thinks they are saving money in the long run, they truly arent because if humans are the cause of global warming (and no i highly believe otherwise, i'll take a natural cycle of the earth then us messily humans) their purchase of the car is making fuel prices rise (due to production of the battery along with transportation of it all the way across the world...yep thats a lot of FUEL) so in the end, you are buying a fantasy.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]SmileyTPB1[/nom]People get so testy and wound up about a car. Not even a cool car. Also I would question the accuracy of people's claims of 50+ mpg in their Prius. Is that average mpg for a whole month of driving or just what the computer screen in the car told you? Because I could get 99 mpg in my Cadillac from time to time also. Don't assume that the computer screen in your Prius is honest either, it might be lying about your mileage. Keep track of your mileage and gas and do the math yourself and see if it's the same. Better yet, cover up that computer screen and see if you still get good mileage, bet you don't.[/citation]
You'd lose your bet.[citation][nom]Antilycus[/nom]Finite resources, like what is used in the production of the batteries? Anything that is saved per person (on average) in gasoline/fossil fuels, is burned up per production per vehicle. So while the end consumer thinks they are saving money in the long run, they truly arent because if humans are the cause of global warming (and no i highly believe otherwise, i'll take a natural cycle of the earth then us messily humans) their purchase of the car is making fuel prices rise (due to production of the battery along with transportation of it all the way across the world...yep thats a lot of FUEL) so in the end, you are buying a fantasy.[/citation]
Sorry to disagree with the propaganda you have heard, but "heard" is the key, isn't it? So, you still believe that a Hummer is more green over the life of the vehicles than a Prius?? That article has been shown to be based on inaccurate facts - in other words - there are those parties that paid to manufacture that article - other "ditto head" types who prey on those "ditto heads" who are unable to think for themselves.

G

The pricing is nuts. Assuming $5 per gallon and 75mpg for the plug in (of course it depends how you drive it, and what kind of millage you get with an aging battery) it takes 150,000 Miles driving before the difference to a Golf TDI of regular Prius has amortized. For me this is 20 years! If you drive longer distances (> 30 miles without recharging) the TDI is the much better deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.