Toyota Drivers Say 'Fixed' Cars Still Accelerating

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FunYun

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
[citation][nom]sickofsoyo[/nom]"So after MILLIONS of cars were recalled, it is somehow breaking news that "at least 15" still have problems?Take the amount of cars fixed by licensed mechanics/dealers each year. How many of those have a relapse of the offending issues?A TINY percentage of cars still having problems after repairs is NOTHING NEW, why is this being made into a big deal?"because the issue isn't a physical issue, its a programming issue with the onboard computer that controls the electronic throttle body. Its going wide open causing the cars to accelerate. Toyota is hiding this because it would cost a lot of money to fix. It has been reproduced by a professor at a school showing its a programming issue.http://dailyegyptian.com/2010/02/23/1831 just one quick source[/citation]

That video didn't really make sense. The driver is saying his brakes don't work, yet there he is stopping the vehicle. Also, the guy has to apply the short to cause the WOT. How do you cause a short like that without the engine running WOT all the time? From what I see, it would go WOT as soon as you turned the car on, not randomly while driving.

Is he just trying to show that you can cause a fault without an error code?

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
What became of the 100+ years of mechanical throtle linkage that worked fine? Electronic Throtle Control PU, what a joke! Just another way to make cars cost more and become less reliable.

silentbobdc

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Did you watch the clip you posted? I watched it, some nice things like "There COULD BE a fault that COULD occur in these electronic systems" and "IF this fault exists" - no proof that the fault exists in the wild. Then he shorts a circuit with an external device and calls that proof? I imagine if you take any car that uses a drive-by-wire (or any fighter jet for that matter) and short points on the acceleration circuit it would probably have some strange behaviors. It's moronic to take that as proof. Shorting a board with an external device is one thing, having it short itself without leaving any burn marks or other evidence is another completely (I've seen my share of shorted boards but all had some evidence or functional impairment after the fact).

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]silentbobdc[/nom]Did you watch the clip you posted? I watched it, some nice things like "There COULD BE a fault that COULD occur in these electronic systems" and "IF this fault exists" - no proof that the fault exists in the wild. Then he shorts a circuit with an external device and calls that proof? I imagine if you take any car that uses a drive-by-wire (or any fighter jet for that matter) and short points on the acceleration circuit it would probably have some strange behaviors. It's moronic to take that as proof. Shorting a board with an external device is one thing, having it short itself without leaving any burn marks or other evidence is another completely (I've seen my share of shorted boards but all had some evidence or functional impairment after the fact).[/citation]

You cant compare fighter jets fly-by-wire to a cars drive-by-wire. Fly by wire systems in jets have redundant systems with tolerance levels built in. I dont thing any automaker cares enough about its drivers to provide redundant solutions for critical systems. Hell, the B-1 Lancer has a main flight control system and 4 redundant systems. Think Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford, or Chrysler would do that? There are several reasons. But my guess is that

1. Their only real safety concerns are those imposed by law.

2. The absolute refusal to advance their technology has left autos in the hulking piles of metal and plastic that would be ridiculously heavy if redundant systems were put in place.

3. The costs passed on to consumers would make these "safe autos" a luxury and out of reach of the standard comsumer.

Ok so weight is not really an issue unless you would prefer mileage of safety. But, these are businesses and their first and formost goal is your money, not making you safer, and not making your drive more comforatable.

sickofsoyo

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
FunYun, the car was no longer accelerating when the car was slowed. Silent: are you saying that these cars are not subject to weather, and natural elements as well as corrosion and other degredation including the rotting of the coating of the wires? there are tons of factors that can lead to a short. The article is simply showing the issue drivers are having couldbe an electrical issue with no traces which is why toyota is having such a hard time fixing it. They screwed up, its not fixed, they dont know what the problem is, so get over it.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Toyota: Once you start driving you'll never stop.
--------------------------------
Just buy Hyundai. They make the most reliable cars on the planet. Hyundai hasn't had any serious safety problems in years. Hyundai is also helping to create jobs in the USA instead of India or China.

G

Why is everyone complaining about Toyota. They are a corporation and as such they have but one goal, to make as much money as they can. By trying to avoid the recall they were doing what they are meant to, increase profits. This is why they are in business, this is the only thing they care about. They will do whatever it takes to make more money. So a few people died, driving is the most dangerous activity that people can engage in, and we do it while eating, texting, phoning, and putting on makeup, but Toyota is solely to blame, huh.

Corporations stall every day and people die as a result, we are not throttling them with blame and suspicion, why all the hatred towards Toyota? One would think they are an insurance company, talk about a corporate murder scheme, take money forever, and when time to pay out comes, we'll deny every claim that comes through the office. lack of insurance kills 45000 a year, insurance denials probably kill more, it's good to know where our priorities and outrage lie.

FunYun

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
[citation][nom]sickofsoyo[/nom]FunYun, the car was no longer accelerating when the car was slowed. Silent: are you saying that these cars are not subject to weather, and natural elements as well as corrosion and other degredation including the rotting of the coating of the wires? there are tons of factors that can lead to a short. The article is simply showing the issue drivers are having couldbe an electrical issue with no traces which is why toyota is having such a hard time fixing it. They screwed up, its not fixed, they dont know what the problem is, so get over it.[/citation]

Shorts don't go away on there own, and they often damage the component that gets shorted. So how is it that people only experience SUA, when these things should be stuck at WOT?

Corrosion? These are new vehicles.

cammmy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
How many of these people do you think just said that the car went WOT to get off something? Liability for and accident, speeding ticket, free stuff from Toyota etc.

Easier solution. Don't buy auto's, slower, less fuel efficient, more expensive. If your manual goes WOT, clutch in, key off. End of problem.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]rishwin[/nom]So after MILLIONS of cars were recalled, it is somehow breaking news that "at least 15" still have problems?Take the amount of cars fixed by licensed mechanics/dealers each year. How many of those have a relapse of the offending issues?A TINY percentage of cars still having problems after repairs is NOTHING NEW, why is this being made into a big deal?[/citation]

Because the USA own its main competitor. This just an over hyped small problem. They just want GM to sell more cars.

pweeb

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
If your prius begins to accelerate on its own, take 15 or 20 minutes and get all your stuff before jumping out and hit the ground running at a brisk walk.

sickofsoyo

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
humidity and other factors contribute to the ability of electricity to arc through the air. And if you're talking about a motor that is just being fed power from a fused area where the short it, it can cause the throttle to open, but not fry the motor. And since the motor acts as a resistor itself, prevents a fuse from blowing.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
[citation][nom]cammmy[/nom]Don't buy auto's, slower, less fuel efficient, more expensive. If your manual goes WOT, clutch in, key off. End of problem.[/citation]

Many newer autos are more efficent than manual, and faster. Look it up.

Its a big deal because its a known issue, and it is dangerious. Illbeit for a small amount of people. The video is valid because some of the cars that DO have the short have been in accidents. Its location and protection both suck and moisture can get in there. Water and eletronics dont mix well.
Also sounds like the cars need better breaks. I think breaks should always be able to overcome the cars power.

G

Popular Mechanics has a very good article explaining why Electronics are not to blame. I also believe that you have some people who are trying to blame the car for their mistakes and some who had a stuck pedal or a floor mat issue. But nothing has been found on any of these cars to indicate a electronic or electrical issue. We would see far more complaints if this was the case, but we have not.

FunYun

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
[citation][nom]sickofsoyo[/nom]humidity and other factors contribute to the ability of electricity to arc through the air. And if you're talking about a motor that is just being fed power from a fused area where the short it, it can cause the throttle to open, but not fry the motor. And since the motor acts as a resistor itself, prevents a fuse from blowing.[/citation]

The ECM is checking pedal position against throttle position and air flow. If they all don't jive, the car is supposed to go into limp-home mod and throw a CEL.

thejester420

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
"Toyota: Once you start driving you'll never stop.
--------------------------------
Just buy Hyundai. They make the most reliable cars on the planet. Hyundai hasn't had any serious safety problems in years. Hyundai is also helping to create jobs in the USA instead of India or China."

What terrible advice, Hyundai? last i checked they are still the lowest-est end car manufacturer over here along with KIA. If your looking for a high quality, low price vehicle get a Ford, there really good on gas these days, there fun to drive, and they don't look ugly and gay like there Korean counterparts, not to mention they produce most there products here and are actually an American company so the money doesn't leave the shores unlike import brands.

G

Car companies just don't bother to learn from others mistakes. We teach our kids to, but when we grow we're too full of ourselves to do it.

Audi had the problem, most German cars if the brake pedal is pushed while the accel is push, the Brake overrides the accel. Few cents more to throw in, but no. And try it on you're American made car- same thing- didn't learn a damm thing.

Dax corrin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
[citation][nom]samoya222[/nom]So far as I know, acceleration isn't a design flaw; it's a physical law. No car will ever go from 0-60 in 0.0 seconds. Why can't people accept this?[/citation]
It's unintended acceleration, numbnuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.