Toyota Drivers Say 'Fixed' Cars Still Accelerating

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thejester420

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I don't know why people are compelled to stand by this boring, lame automaker who make ugly, soul-less, zero fun to drive cars, Toyota has been making mundane cars for over a decade now, I hope they disappear off the face of the earth, no more Supra, no more Celica, no more MR2, shame on them, and I'm sorry, I don't count the upcoming FT-86 or whatever its called, its not out yet, and i have a feeling they will dull down the concept to match its other bland offerings.

G

I've just read where Toyota Australia's new Camry Hybrid is using brake by wire. Kinda scary considering the problems with the throttle by wire assemble. Two deadly combinations??

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Well you can call it karma. Back when cash for clunkers started I thought it was a great idea to save out AMERICAN auto makers. But this is what happens when you have americans that dont even support their own country. Everyone that particapated went out and bought Toyotas and the numbers prove that. While our auto makers are shutting down great manufatures like Pontiac,Saturn and closing down thousands of dealerships with hundreds of jobs lost. Smug ass people were riding aroung in their prius's and camry's driving buy the same people on the streets that just lost thier jobs because of them. We had the option to help ourselves but we didnt. My rant was kinda off topic but whenever I pull up on a Camry or Prius I make sure they can see me and I laugh my ass of at them just to make them feel more insecure.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
"Toyota drivers say that, despite their vehicles being "fixed" by the manufacturer, their cars are still accelerating."

well I would hope so, not much good if they don't move, though arguably safer...

lilwillis

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
[citation][nom]rishwin[/nom]So after MILLIONS of cars were recalled, it is somehow breaking news that "at least 15" still have problems?Take the amount of cars fixed by licensed mechanics/dealers each year. How many of those have a relapse of the offending issues?A TINY percentage of cars still having problems after repairs is NOTHING NEW, why is this being made into a big deal?[/citation]
well dickhead, its up to 20 now.
they were just replaced and already the count is growing, how retarded can you get?

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
you'll go bankrupt or die of the common flu before you'd die in a toyota. As long as they are doing their best then just play with the odds.

Blueridge

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
That's why I love the manual gearbox. Gives me plenty of ways to stop a car when the engine control module goes haywire... as long as the clutch and brakes are still "hardwired" to the execution devices (pressure plate and calipers).

I never drove a car with automatic gearbox,... but shouldn't the engine stall if you press the brakes and throttle at the same time?

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]lilwillis[/nom]well dickhead, its up to 20 now.they were just replaced and already the count is growing, how retarded can you get?[/citation]

Did you ever thought that every sucker involved in an accident will invoke the WOT thing? If you can avoid prison or insurance problem by blaming a foreign corporation, you will. Everybody will use this as a scapegoat.

Anyway a stuck throttle isn't really dangerous, especially since Toyota doesn't make the Supra anymore. I can just imagine the incredible surge of power coming from a Prius stuck at WOT...

0-60 in 12s?

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]pweeb[/nom]If your prius begins to accelerate on its own, take 15 or 20 minutes and get all your stuff before jumping out and hit the ground running at a brisk walk.[/citation]

LOL, funny and right!

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
I think the biggest problem is that Toyota doesn't want to admit that there's also a problem with electronics and that it would be too expensive to repair....

lilwillis

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]Did you ever thought that every sucker involved in an accident will invoke the WOT thing? If you can avoid prison or insurance problem by blaming a foreign corporation, you will. Everybody will use this as a scapegoat.Anyway a stuck throttle isn't really dangerous, especially since Toyota doesn't make the Supra anymore. I can just imagine the incredible surge of power coming from a Prius stuck at WOT...0-60 in 12s?[/citation]
up to 60 complaints this morning jackass

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
[citation][nom]Blueridge[/nom]I never drove a car with automatic gearbox,... but shouldn't the engine stall if you press the brakes and throttle at the same time?[/citation]
Nooo, that would be stupid. You would lose brake pressure and power steering assist.

buckinbottoms

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
[citation][nom]thejester420[/nom]I don't know why people are compelled to stand by this boring, lame automaker who make ugly, soul-less, zero fun to drive cars, Toyota has been making mundane cars for over a decade now, I hope they disappear off the face of the earth, no more Supra, no more Celica, no more MR2, shame on them, and I'm sorry, I don't count the upcoming FT-86 or whatever its called, its not out yet, and i have a feeling they will dull down the concept to match its other bland offerings.[/citation]
old people and fanboys do wonders these days.

G

I personally own a Honda in Chillicothe Ohio, I was at my dealership yesterday getting my oil changed and while waiting the 4 Toyota owners were getting their cars worked on a second time as after they got the fix they had the acceleration. Whats funny was they all still believe in Toyota.. ?

G

Who cares, this just shows it's not totally fixed. Just buy a Ford and go on your way!

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]sandmanwn[/nom]Nooo, that would be stupid. You would lose brake pressure and power steering assist.[/citation]

That is what some dumb ass American law makers are considering to enforce.

Somebody should tell them about the neutral already.

mikeinjbay

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
[citation][nom]officeguy[/nom]I know of a friend that has one. She was worried about it but now I don't think she is too worried about it. If 5 millions of these cars were sold and 3 thousands people put in complaints that is only .6% of the people. This is not that many. However, I do feel for the people who had the issues Hope they find a fix for it!![/citation]
Check your maths - 0.06% if your figures are right

G

The gas pedals are American made, what'd you expect from them?

America is in decline, they are no longer the top of the world, and produce sub par vehicles.
Europe and Japan are far beyond them at this time.

They always attack Toyota because it's foreign, but have they ever took a good look at how many vehicles silently get recalled from AMERICAN manufacturers?
Like Ford, where the brake pads where too small, and caught fire on many mobile homes and campers; or what about Chevrolet where anything except for the engine always break down?

G

"""Because the USA own its main competitor. This just an over hyped small problem. They just want GM to sell more cars.""

Just think 4 people in each vehicle collide with only 1 other vehicle that has 4 passengers. That could be 120 lost lives. Thats IF and only IF there are only 15 cars that are still accelerating out of control. One "small problem" could cost you or someone you know their lives. Oh and btw USA has done nothing but hand out free money, cut taxes, and encourage people to purchase these foreign made death traps. No such thing as free money? yep your right its the thousands and thousands of American workers who can no longer provide for their families that are paying the price!

Status
Not open for further replies.