Toyota Testing Joystick Control for Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

frozenlead

Distinguished
It would be better if the accelerator and directional controls were split among two control sticks (more like an aircraft).

I'd have to try it to say something about it. It's hard to think something would replace the wheel...but then again, the automatic transmission has practically replaced the manual one. It's not as an extreme shift as going from a wheel to a stick, but just an example.

G

It's like the Men In Black 2 movie; when the "flying car" is driven by using a PS2 simil joystick!!!! hehehe

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I don't know about the whole acceleration/brake idea, MAYBE for steering. I don't know about that either. I like to be able to "HOLD" onto something while I am steering especially when I need to make split decisions to avoid a collision and such. Well, to each is own.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Ok, I hate to throw a bucket of cold water on the flames of innovation but... why? Has the steering wheel suddenly become inadequate to the task of controling the direction of an automobile? I submit that it would take a LONG time for people to embrace this technology since the steering wheel has been around longer than most people have been alive. Any attempts to force this... evolution... would result in a massive increase in the number of traffic accidents since people would likely become confused in an emergency maneuver situation (muscle memory usually takes over in situations like that).

On the positive side, this would be great for handicapt drivers.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Nice article.... But really, do you guys even edit your articles any more? "a bit more safer"?! Grammar guys, grammar.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
My concern: what happens when the automatic steering goes out or the a cable to the joystick frays/disconnects.

In a car today, if the steering pump goes out you can still turn the car with the steering wheel (although with a lot more strength needed) since its directly attached to the wheel assemblies. If you have a joystick and its stops working and no passenger to take over then you're toast.

Maybe there is a good answer for that one, but I can't think of one off the top of my head.

aje21

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Mercedes tested this idea years ago and found that new drivers could learn to control the car more quickly (and with better control) using a joystick vs. wheel and pedals (cars were automatic transmission in both cases). Much like the joystick on modern fighter aircraft it used force-sensing rather than movement when steering, but I seem to recall it had some fore-aft movement for braking and acceleration.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Irrelevant. We won't be driving our own cars by the time something like this could ever become main stream. I give it 20 years at the most before humans are taken out of the driving equation.

pooflinger1

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I think this could be really hand, especially to long distance truck drivers. One of the problems with the traditional steering wheel is fatigue. On long trips, your arm muscles will and do get tired of being in an elevated position. If you had a joystick at the end of an arm rest, it would be MUCH more ergonomic just like sitting at the correct height at your computer. You also have the ability to make much quicker movements since to turn your wheels completely to the side for example, you tilt the stick a bit and you're there. No more turning the wheel two full rotations etc.

Would it take getting used to? Yes. But I do see a lot of benefits. Safety is also another one. You no longer have you hands/arms next to an airbag, and you can place the airbag at a further distance from the drivers head.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Removing the steering wheel and pedals would actually make cars safer by eliminating the steering column from causing chest injuries and the pedal set causing leg and foot injuries. Moving the controls to a more outboard location (joysticks at the end of each seat armrest) also allows more efficient packaging in terms of vehicle length or, at least, an increase of passenger room for current designs. Having an electric or electrohydraulic fly-by-wire control system could also reduce the weight and size of the steering rack, or eliminate it altogether if the steering system acted directly on the ball joints and steering knuckles. There are many reasons to incorporate this control set. I do like my wheel and pedals, however.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
The Construction Industry has been using joysticks for years now. Excavators, skid steer loaders, track loaders and bulldozers to name a few. Works great for that environment where quick response is needed at low speeds. But joysticks are easy to bump and transmit even subtle incidental movement because of their small throws.

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
Not gonna fly. To drive properly, you need to use both hands and concentrate... not one hand holding the joystick and the other holding your boyfriend's (or spouse's) "joystick." Lol.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
So I take it then that Toyota plans to do away with manual transmission (at least in conjunction with this concept)? I mean, wouldn't the driver have to still use a clutch, and if so, they would have to always release the joystick back into its neutral position? I'm sure they thought of this, plus if this concept actually gets into real world cars, we'll have to retrain ourselves, but at this moment, I don't see why this needs to happen. How about more efficient engines, there's still lots of progress to be done in that department.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
This comes up every once in a while... and on the surface it seems logical... planes use sticks and they're WAY more complicated than cars. Helicoptors use sticks and they're WAY more complicated than planes.

But it won't work on cars and never will. The reason WHY it won't work is the same reason a mouse works so much better than a joystick for first person shooters. A Steering wheels rotation linearly correlates to wheel rotation. You rotate the wheel 20 degrees, your wheel rotates 5 degrees... it requires zero mental gymnastics to understand the relationship.

There are two ways a joystick could be used to replace a wheel. In the first way, the stick position works like a steering wheel, push it left 1/2" and your wheels turn left 5 degrees, push it left 1" and your wheels move to 10 degrees left, etc. This is intuitive and would work ok... but you'd have VERY limited range of motion compared to a steering wheel (which can rotate a couple of times 360 degrees to cover the +/- 90'ish degrees of your wheels). This method is at least moderately workable... but for basically no gain (coolness I guess) you'd be sacrificing a LOT of control precision as well as mechanical linkage (IMO a VERY bad idea... fly by wire is great when you have the money for 4x redundancy... not when made by our recall happy auto manufacturers).

The other way would be to have stick motion translate into wheel rotation velocity, which is how first person shooters use controller joysticks (we all know how well that works). That means in order to calculate input position, we lowly humans would need to be able to integrate position over time in our heads... in realtime... to control the car position... while applying several feedforward inputs. A purpose built control could do this... humans can also do it at low speeds where there's lots of time to apply feedback corrections (for instance if you're running one of those huge mine trucks that go 5 mph). Humans wouldn't be able to do it at highway speeds. As an added bonus - you get the same loss of mechnanical linkage here too. Another bad idea.

Car companies - Just leave the mechanically coupled steering wheel alone... I don't feel like dying because my fly by wire steering decided all of a sudden that I wanted to go 90 degrees left at 75mph.

groveborn

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I would almost prefer a smaller wheel where they would put this joystick. It would be less prone to bumping it (which WILL happen on bumpy rides!). I wouldn't mind a nice throttle lever as well. My legs get very tired after an hour of pushing on a pedal. Heck, why not put this all on a game pad so we can steer and control the speed, radio, and all sorts of other things in any configuration we desire? I can't think of the perfect device, but I'm sure it would be a simple matter to use some sort of analog button for speed and such. Maybe make the joystick twist for sudden turns?

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Joy stick LAME call me back when you got a touchpad/ or some sorta mouse/trackball thingy going on that i can just use with my right hand nice and rested were the cup holders are.

Status
Not open for further replies.