Tracking a stolen asus laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

i lost my asus brand laptop yesterday.i want to find it back.so i need your pinion i trace it back...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Unless you have something like Lojack for Laptops installed BEFORE lost or stolen, then there is no way to track down the system. Report the loss/theft to the police and your insurance company. Sorry for your loss.

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
If you installed logmein, teamviewer, pc anywhere, you can access your computer and find out what the ip is.

Else good luck finding it: it's probably way gone or sold

COLGeek

Cybernaut

This is not possible if it isn't on your local network. How else could you possibly know the IP address to connect to?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

This is not possible if it isn't on your local network. How else could you possibly know the IP address to connect to?

neon neophyte

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
short of having a service of some sort running, that connects to *something* where u could check the ip, its futile

if you have the serials you could... try to buy it. check local avenues or even ebay with a seller in your area or something. might luck out. probably not though.

swifty_morgan

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
there was a thing on the web a couple of years ago called not melvins machine. showed somebody logging on to his stolen computer over the net and eventually getting the guy who took it and his computer back. don't say it can't be done.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

The means to track after lost or stolen must be in place before the theft or loss occurs. Otherwise, you are down to random luck.

This topic comes up fairly often on Tom's and the answer is always the same. That being said, technically, it is possible to track down a system on the 'Net, but it VERY unlikely to be successful (wthout a tracking means in place). Your odds of winning the lottery are actually better.

Status
Not open for further replies.