Transfer 5.1 Audio from computer to another computer

MOudz

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Here's my setup : I have 2 desktop computers, LCD TV and a 5.1 Speakers first desktop is for multimedia and the second is for games .. the multimedia desktop have my media center and it is conected to the 5.1 speakers and to the TV via HDMI. Here's the question : i want to send the output audio of the gaming desktop to the 5.1 Speakers through the multimedia desktop. any ideas ? :) Thanks

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Any reason why it has to go through the htpc and not to your receiver directly?

If not, you could run a clone display (at a very small res) from the hdmi port of your gaming pc (assuming it has one) directly to the receiver. And yes, a small clone display may hurt your performance a little.

MOudz

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
i don't have a receiver i have a Creative INSPIRE T6160 Speakers which is connected directly to the multimedia desktop computer, so if want to transfer the audio to the speakers with out unplugging it, The audio stream must go through the computer...

Need the MODEL for your Speaker setup, if there's a RECEIVER etc to know what inputs are supported.

I don't think the "clone method" is really a good idea.

I'm also a little confused on whether the HDTV is the only screen, or whether there is an additional monitor.

MOudz

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

Creative INSPIRE T6160 with 3 3.5mm audio cable (front,rear,mid/sub) and there is another monitor for the gaming desktop and i don't have an audio reciver.

Solution

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
There's a lot of ways to do it with 2 channel stereo, like the 3 way switch. And "technically" you could do it by putting 3 sound cards in your multimedia pc.

But the easiest setup would be to just buy another set of $50 speakers.

While I normally wouldn't recommend this with expensive speakers, you could try using 3 mini-jack splitters in reverse.