Transfer programs to new HD

Jeremy Smith

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016
I have a SSD as my system drive with Win10 and 3x hard drives in raid where I have my games installed. I just bought a 2Tb Hard drive and want to transfer my games onto the new drive. Because the system drive will remain the same, can I just copy the contents of the raid drives to the new drive, remove the old HD's and give the new HD the same drive letter, or do I need to actually clone the drives to the new one.

Thanks!

Solution
Hey there, @Jeremy Smith!

The best way to do that would be to clean install all the games and software onto the new HDD as this would avoid any potential errors while loading the programs. This procedure will ensure that you won't face any sort of issues when launching the games.
However, if that is not an option, I'd try the cloning procedure as copy/pasting won't work for software utilities. If you are using Steam or other gaming platforms, check their knowledge base as it could have some helpful tutorials about moving the installation and games. As for the cloning procedure, make sure you choose a software tool that allows you to manually select what gets transferred to the new HDD.
I'd also strongly recommend you...

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Hey there, @Jeremy Smith!

The best way to do that would be to clean install all the games and software onto the new HDD as this would avoid any potential errors while loading the programs. This procedure will ensure that you won't face any sort of issues when launching the games.
However, if that is not an option, I'd try the cloning procedure as copy/pasting won't work for software utilities. If you are using Steam or other gaming platforms, check their knowledge base as it could have some helpful tutorials about moving the installation and games. As for the cloning procedure, make sure you choose a software tool that allows you to manually select what gets transferred to the new HDD.
I'd also strongly recommend you perform a full backup of your RAID configuration and precious data somewhere off-site before you proceed tampering with the storage setup. This is the surest way to avoid any potential data loss in the process.

Hope this helps you! Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

Jeremy Smith

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016
OK, since the SSD was the system drive and the Raid drives were separate, I simply plugged the new drive in, copied all files from the Raid to the new drive, changed the drive letter to what the raid was and BAM... Everything works great! no reinstalling, no errors, nice and easy!!