Transferring Music from iTunes to Google Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellytom

Prominent
Dec 16, 2017
Google's "system" for transferring files is garbage on many, many levels, but AFAIK it's the only way to transfer songs and podcasts from iTunes to Google Play Music. After you've downloaded Google Play Music, you'll need to find (not easy) and download the Google Music Manager app to your Desktop. MM will be the app you'll use to "control" what music is actually transferred.

Unless you want a big mess of music and podcasts on your Android device, ONLY transfer songs that you've placed in iTunes Playlists. After you've put everything your want to transfer, open Music Manager on your Desktop, and those playlists will appear with checkboxes. Check the boxes for the Playlists you want to transfer, connect your Android device to a USB port, and click on "Upload." The tediously sluggish transfer process will begin. A couple thousand files will take hours. At the end, if you're lucky, the transferred songs will appear both on your Desktop and on your Android device.

This procedure also transfers podcasts, whether or not I've put them in Playlists. (This could be because of the way my iTunes music folders are organized, but I don't see how. My iTunes Music subfolder is not in the same "Music" folder as my Podcasts.) On my Android device (a Galaxy 7), they show up randomly in Google Music Play in "Songs." They're in no particular order; they're just scattered around. This baffling "feature" means that you can't practically shuffle all your songs, unless you want to hear a random mixture of songs AND podcasts.

I could go on and on about the multiple deficiencies of Google's Music Play system, but for now I'll just put out an SOS: If anybody knows of a better iTunes-to-Android music transfer system, let us know!

poopsftw123

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/saltzman/2016/05/08/switch-android-how-sync-itunes-music-free/32603595/ this link is the best help i can give you other than that i would say its just a problem with Google's unreliable system for transferring your music and podcast files

Status
Not open for further replies.