Traps to Avoid When Buying Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

momcilosystem

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
I work for computer shop and was on Microsoft 'training' for Windows 7. They said that 32-bit and 64-bit are two separate SKUs, so you won't get two DVD's. You'll have to decide before you purchase your edition or else you might get very disappointed.

But do check this info. Maybe our guys were misinformed.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I already have Win 7 64 bit. It seems great, but Windows Explorer always crashes when I try and right click or assign something to the Start Menu. I hope it'll be repaired soon. Until then, I'm sticking to dual booting with Vista 64 bit.

momcilosystem

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Microsoft representative (and common sense) told us that it is not possible to do 'upgrade' from RC because it's not paid version of Windows 7. Therefore you must have ordered full installation, so I presume there would be no trouble for you.

G

Manufacturer's Description
Windows 7 Home Premium makes it easy to create a home network and share all of your favourite photos, videos and music. You can even watch, pause, rewind and record TV. Get the best entertainment experience with Windows 7 Home Premium.

32-bit or 64-bit? For your convenience, every copy of Windows 7 Home Premium includes both 32-bit and 64-bit discs.

maxik

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
My pre-ordered copies of Win7 Professional and Win7 Home Premium arrived in the post this morning.
Both copies include a 32bit disc and a 64bit disc.

G

This article seems to have a bit of a slant - I don't think any "HOME Edition" has ever been able to join a domain? Isn't that what differentiates the home versions from the professional versions? After all, the purpose of the professional version is to have centralized control of machines and account management, which is hardly necessary in a home environment unless you are a tech-head, in which case you should probably be running professional or higher anyway

G

My understanding of the 32 bit vs 64 bit issue is that retail box copies will come with both versions. OEM copies only have one version per disc. So if you are looking to save money that way, you'll have to choose upfront.

slevesque

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
"Your nightmare would be buying a Windows 7 upgrade for Home Premium, which is useless because you currently have the XP Professional edition."

When I preordered Win 7 upgrade home premium it was clear that it was possible to upgrade from XP pro. Did I read wrong? Did the rules change since last july?

G

It'd be great to see a full list of the differences!
As an administrator on my own desktop and notebook pc's, I use gpedit.msc quite often!
I never use remote desktop though...
It'd be a pitty that I'd have to go to ultimate just because the basic version does not have this function!
What if the home edition is perfect for me,but there's one feat the 'ultimate' edition has that I want to have?

G

Can someone go from Vista Home Premium OEM to W7 Home Premium Upg.? I remember once upon a time there were issues with upgrading from OEM releases. Also, why's Lenovo asking for $32 per dvd for the so called "free" upgrade but other manufacturers like Acer are not?

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Best solution is not to buy Windows 7 at all.
You can simply avoid all these problems and keep your money too.. Just go with Ubuntu instead.
Still need windows for some things? Run XP under Virtual Box. Total cost for all this: $0

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
[citation][nom]Capone_421[/nom]Manufacturer's DescriptionWindows 7 Home Premium makes it easy to create a home network and share all of your favourite photos, videos and music. You can even watch, pause, rewind and record TV. Get the best entertainment experience with Windows 7 Home Premium. 32-bit or 64-bit? For your convenience, every copy of Windows 7 Home Premium includes both 32-bit and 64-bit discs.[/citation]

That's not true. If you are buying an OEM version say from NewEgg, you have to stipulate if you want the 32 or 64 bit. Since the equipment manufacturer stipulates the machine and CPU / motherboard, they expect you to decide their and then which route you want to ho.

MrFawlty

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2005
If you buy the upgrade, you can install it, bu DON'T put the product key in. Then when it's installed, put the disc back in and 'upgrade' from that. Works like a charm!

Status
Not open for further replies.