Travelers Choose WiFi Over Food on Planes

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I happen to take 3-4 short flights within Europe (GVA-ZRH-PRG) every week and I have to say that for flights under an hour, taking a laptop out is not even worth the effort for a few mins of serious work (even when using X300 with SSD).

Flying is good for reading and eating (even with the lousy sandwitches they serve). The wifi connectivity is fine at the aiport launges.

ik242

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
forget the food, WiFi, and even crying kid. all of this is forgotten as soon as you step out of the plane. i'd be way more happier with more space - specially leg room. next choice is AC outlet, followed but WiFi. WiFi without extra leg room is not much since laptop needs some room too (not 6" from my face).

ik242

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
forget the food, WiFi, and even crying kid. all of this is forgotten as soon as you step out of the plane. i'd be way more happier with more space - specially leg room. next choice is AC outlet, followed but WiFi. WiFi without extra leg room is not much since laptop needs some room too (not 6" from my face).

cablechewer

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Grrr. Last post got cut short by careless symbol use.

I would say it depends on the length of the flight. Short flights of less than 3 hours I don't care about the food. I would happily take an electrical outlet for my laptop (or other electronic device) over food on those shorter flights.

International flights however are a different matter (especially if they cross an ocean). No way I am sitting on a plane for that long without a meal (even if it is airline food).

Regardless of flight duration I at least want to be offered a bit of water to drink.

Hmmm, I wonder how long it will be before airlines are required to provide straps or other restraints for laptops and other devices to keep them from sailing across the cabin in the event of severe turbulence or other problems...

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Airline food is actually better than the food you bought because at high attitude, it is your test bud that fail and not the airline food. Your delicious Subway sub is going to test like soggy cardboard while the specially prepared airline food will test like regular food.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]Airline food is actually better than the food you bought because at high attitude, it is your test bud that fail and not the airline food. Your delicious Subway sub is going to test like soggy cardboard while the specially prepared airline food will test like regular food.[/citation]

Who do you fly with? I want airline food that doesn't taste like two day old cud.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Considering what they usually call food on planes in domestic flights across America, I'll take my Wi-Fi... International flights, however, I'll take the food.

guyladouche

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
I'd much rather have wifi than crappy airplane food. You can bring your own food, but not your own wifi. Gotten sick from airplane food twice on international flights. Wifi never made me vomit. [citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]Airline food is actually better than the food you bought because at high attitude, it is your test bud that fail and not the airline food. Your delicious Subway sub is going to test like soggy cardboard while the specially prepared airline food will test like regular food.[/citation]
Are you just making this up? If airline food tastes bad, it's the food, not your taste buds as food I've taken and eaten on a plane tastes just as it did on the ground.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]Airline food is actually better than the food you bought because at high attitude, it is your test bud that fail and not the airline food. Your delicious Subway sub is going to test like soggy cardboard while the specially prepared airline food will test like regular food.[/citation]

I gotta call b.s on that one.

The plane is sealed and pressurized to ground level pressure, and the air in the plane is the air that was already there when that happened (not to mention it is probably filtered, and so even better than when you were on the ground).

The only physical or chemical change for people that I can think of (that isn't totally canceled out by the special environment of an airliner) is the change in gravity...and good luck convincing me that has anything to do with taste buds.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I would gladly take no outlet, no wifi, no food and a discounted ticket price. Short of that though, I agree with the consensus: outlet, then wifi, then food (and even then, I'll just take the peanuts / snacks / drinks, the meals are terrible).

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004

Submit this to Mythbusters... Im thinken BUSTED

Zagen30

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
Outlets first. Before a few days ago I would have added AC outlets, but I bought a power inverter on sale, so DC should be alright for me. I've never really gotten the urge to go online during a flight, but I'd take it over food. Of course, I only regularly fly domestically, and make sure to eat at the airports whenever possible.

matchboxmatt

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Whenever I take a flight, it's usually across the Pacific, meaning flights are usually well over 10 hours. In that time, I only eat food out of boredom, and the stuff doesn't leave you feeling all that great.

I can survive without pretzels. Give me some wifi to kill the time, and I'm good.

Status
Not open for further replies.