TRENDnet Launches User Friendly Wireless Range Extender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Not to me Mr. Negative or anything, but if it anything like my past experiences with Trendnet's products, it'll either work okay, or just not work at all.

Also $60 is too pricey for me, I would be looking for one around $40-$45.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Powerline networking works best for extending your wireless bubble. Also, if you got rid of your landline, the exisiting phone wiring typically has four wires which can move ethernet.

UmeNNis

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Using typical 4 conductor phone lines for ethernet is a poor to terrible idea. As a worker in the telephone industry, I will tell you that A) most phone wiring in peoples homes are in terrbile shape, often hardly worth using even for voice transfer, B) four conductor lines have NO TWISTS, and as such you will experience an incredible amount of errors (=significantly lower throughput), and C) these wiring configurations in the majority of homes will have some sort of short, open, or some other problem that will prohibit data transfer in such a manner.

Bottom line: existing phone wiring, for all intents and purposes, can NOT move ethernet through your home.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]just in time for the new wireless standard companies finally come out with products to extend the life of a dying technology[/citation]

Think about it... if they offered an 'ar' capable extender they'd be admitting that the new standard has problems or limits.
But extending 'N' to come closer to what 'ar' can supposedly do for us would make marketing sense. I can see uses for it and $60, while a bit on the high side, may initially be accepted by the market also $49.95 would have been a smarter price.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
It actually worked great in my house in a 100ft run from upstairs to downstairs. I just replaced the RJ11 wall plates with RJ45 and wired accordingly. My daughters stream Netflix from it without a hitch. However prior to that I tried wireless n (even three different wireless routers) and that was the most frustrating thing ever (might be good for webpages though).

[citation][nom]UmeNNis[/nom]Using typical 4 conductor phone lines for ethernet is a poor to terrible idea. As a worker in the telephone industry, I will tell you that A) most phone wiring in peoples homes are in terrbile shape, often hardly worth using even for voice transfer, B) four conductor lines have NO TWISTS, and as such you will experience an incredible amount of errors (=significantly lower throughput), and C) these wiring configurations in the majority of homes will have some sort of short, open, or some other problem that will prohibit data transfer in such a manner.Bottom line: existing phone wiring, for all intents and purposes, can NOT move ethernet through your home.[/citation]

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I also found that HomePNA has come a long way. This is technology designed specifically for this scenario (it puts a DSL like signal over the wires)

G

It is $44 at Newegg.com And it is a great idea for deadspot areas, I always seem to have 1 or two. Worth it to me, I will be picking one up

Status
Not open for further replies.