TRENDnet Sells 450Mbps Wireless Access Point

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Correct...most internet connections will not touch 54 Mbps - however you should note that there is tcp/ip overhead associated with all data transfer which involves the tcp/ip stack, which is almost everything. If you add in signal loss inherent to wireless connections the real world throughput could be from 30-35 Mbps. This will likely not throttle most internet connections, but some. Wireless N really becomes useful when people want to reliably transfer data over a wireless LAN, which becomes a lot tougher as you add devices to the LAN. I personally will take wired over wireless any day though...

True for internet. But a lot of us transfer files. Also, the faster the speed the better chances of streaming blurays as well. Also, you are forgetting N has farther range. Yes, most of us don't max out 54 Mb/s; however, through a couple rooms or a floor and you might be maxing out your signal.

G

Well i get the grand speed of 1MB/s. And for the great price of $80...

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
I wonder how many people will buy this thinking it will improve their internet speed. People should invest in a networking book before plopping down $200 on a router they don't need. Especially when it comes to wireless, most people blame the wireless router for the interference in their house when they have the thing sitting next to their refrigerator in a house full of 2.4ghz cordless phones.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
By the way, this N router doesn't even operate in the 5Ghz range. That's pretty surprising considering its cost, or perhaps I'm missing this note in the specs I'm reading. You'd think for $200 it would be dual band, but apparently not.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]guess you are the worst in europe. I've 1gbps. for 200mbps I would pay 5euro.[/citation]
Where at? And do you even get real time transfer rates at those speeds? 1gbps to an isp is impressive, but a bit excessive when most sites can't transfer nearly that fast.

justbrae1

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Of course you have incredible speeds in japan, your country is half the size of texas. It costs little to expand over small areas. Then again, you are also packed in there like sardines.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Some of you have a strange idea of bandwidth. 54G can push realistically best case around 22-25Mb. N can push about 90-100Mb, maybe a bit more in a very "clean" environment. And to the guy that said 30Mb or 3Mb, it's actually a factor of 8 difference not 10. 30Mb would be 3.75MB.

I've used a few trendnets for test cases, they aren't bad, certainly not enterprise class by any stretch of the imagination. I'd use a trendnet over a linksys though ;)

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]My internet connection can't even max out G (54Mbit/s).My connection much like the majority of people, runs at 8 Mbit/s (or 1Mbyte/s).Sometimes if you pay an arm and a leg each month you can buy a connection running at a lofty 30mbit/s and depending on your provider up to 60mbit/s or more. So, if you are one of the people that pays to have the fastest internet connection available perhaps you CAN max out G. Typically those connections are insanely high priced like about $100 or more a month. If you have that kind of connection go ahead and buy N... Otherwise don't waist you money.Like I said before I still use G because my ISP can't max it out and I'm unwilling to pay over $100 a month for the "Ultra 60" service.For the majority of people the only increase in speed they would see would be file transfers from one computer in thier house to the other. Even gaming wouldn't improve because it's not about bandwidth for gaming... It's about latency... So, if latency is what you are concered about then just plug in the wire.[/citation]

And now that your done. I picked up some off brand N (300Mbit) router that works like a dream for about $40. I get were you're going, but a huge majority (linksys) of routers are simply over priced. Cmon, who pays >$100 for a router?

Status
Not open for further replies.