trouble deciding on a laptop

Mugen

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2005
i've been searching for a while and found three laptops I am considering its between the wakizachi from killernotebooks.com, the xg action 6000 from buyxg.com or the mayhem eclipse xt from abspc.com. in my opinion there all great notebooks and all have the x1600 in it but i was wondering which one is most relabile and has the most batery life any help would be very appreciated if you could find a better laptop in that price range that would be great

Mech

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I'd say go with KN's Wakizachi, since 1) it's Core Duo, and you can upgrade it to Merom later on, and 2) I think you'll have much more flexibility to configure your laptop with KN, since you can PM him in this forum and work out a great deal.

Mech

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Boss, do you have an approximate ETA for the x1900?? (I HOPE its early July, definitely before late August....*fingers crossed* )

Mugen

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2005
will the x2 be avalible at KN when they come out and a x1900 will probaly not come out on any 15.4' chasis will they? are the x2s better than the core duo i heard amd runs better with games but am not sure thanks

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
The Wakizachi is made by the same company that Apple has used for a while to make the MACbook notebook line. They make the LCD screens for Sony. It is an exceptional chassis, screen and overall system. This is the system I use myself with a 2.33 Ghz core duo because I love the screen so much for brightness, sharpness and clarity.

The battery life is awesome at 3 1/2 hours if you let it control the power and turn down the screen brightness when it wants to. Otherwise, flat out screen cranked all the way up like I like it 2 1/2 hours. That is not gaming now. Gaming is gonna eat a battery in no time.

I haven't heard on an x1800 release date, but I would venture a guess that it isn't going to be August. These ODM's design systems and they act like it is the biggest thing in the world to change the video cards. Maybe it is, but it doesn't seem like it should be, or wait a minute MAYBE THEY COULD PUT IN MXM SLOTS! Wow! What a novel idea! They could use the technology that has been out there for a freaking year so we can upgrade these video cards ourselves, instead of building the GPU on the boards like the cheap b@stards they are! Oh sorry, I got off on a rant.

Anyway, Mugen brings up a great point. I doubt the 1900 class cards will fit into a 15.4" chassis unless they are built in. I know that 6800 class and up nVidia are too big for the chassis and you need at least a 17" to fit them in. I wish you could... there is just no room in there for them.

The X2 will be available at K/N when available (but don't get me started on this, I just spewed all this venom on this topoc a couple days ago and AMD is still recouperating in intensive care.) The thing that MECH brought up is important, the Wakizachi can upgrade to the core duo 2 or core 2 duo (whatever they are calling it this week) and AMD has pretty much admitted the Core 2 is better. Now, will we be able to upgrade the AM@ slot notebook that the X2 is to the next technology AMD has? That I don't know, and a heck of a great question for AMD to answer once they get out of intensive care where they are having their heads surgically removed from their butt holes so they can get back in touch with the gaming community. Like I posted before. I am concerned with the X2's heat issues and that it topps out at 2.0 GHz when the current core duo's are already at 2.33, and the next gen is reported to go to 2.0 Ghz. Unless AMD moves to the 65 nm production process I am not sure they can get this chip much faster than MAYBE 2.4 GHz in a notebook.

Mugen

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2005
not to be argumentive but i have seen 6800 in 15.4' chasis but they are quite pricy and tend to heat up like crazy and thats not what im looking for. KN i was wondering if u sold spare batteries because i did not see any on your site and also i was wondering what u thought of the BenQ 73g if youve heard of it. it has a x1600 in a 14.1' chasis quite like your kodachi but i read some where that it has 512mb of vram i didnt even no they made that for the x1600 well thanks for the help.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
You are absolutely right. I saw a 15.4" with a 6800, but it used a full size 775 desktop processor. Since they CAN do it, I wish they WOULD do it with current hardware.

I have extra batteries for all models. the Wakizachi is $55.

I haven't seen the BenQ, usually they use shared system memory to boost the GPU memory over 256 (right now). Dp you have a link to that system?

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
No, that's a full size battery. It would be even less if I could have it drop shipped, but since I have to re-send it, it ups the price a little.

That seems like a pretty decent notebook.

Mugen

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2005
is that for a 15.4' and thin and light because thats what im looking for if it is that would be so awesome :D thanks for the info

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
If you are going to go with a 17", you might as well go with the 7900 GTX.

This is a graph with just 256 MB on the 7900 GTX, I mean... why compromise?

x1800xt_vs_7900gtx.jpg

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Embarrassing, isn't it?
These guys all do it though.

I remember in February I was told I would have Eliminators in March. They finally arrived in May, but not the SXGA+ ones. Then, those came first week of June finally I think. Then mid-June... the manufacturer runs out of WXGA's and now is out of WSXGA's!

They have no idea when they are getting them again. This is the freaking MANUFACTURER! unreal.

Same thing... different name with the Turion X2's, the x1800's the x1900's, Vista, 14.1" notebooks with x1600's. That's why I finally stopped waiting.

I love my Wakizachi - I am using it right now instead of my desktop :D