Trouble recognising CF card using Card Reader

test_times

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
I have EOS Rebel DSLR - E300D (I think thats the model). When i use a cardreader to read the pics from the CF card it complains that the card needs to be formated.. Win 7 and 8/8.1 say the same thing.. So I am downloading the pics using a Windows Vista computer by connecting the camera directly to it.

I thought my old card reader was the problem. So got a new one.. At one time, after I formated the card it read on the new one.

Now again its back to the same problem saying I need to format.

What could be wrong?? I wish someone would write drivers for Win 7/8+

Thanks

Anyone has any feedback???

I don't think that drivers are the problem. I use both CF as well as SD cards in my Vista, Win 7 Pro, as well as Win 8.1 computers via card readers.

CF cards are older technology and the problem may be with the card. Also, there are a lot of fake cards that appear very much like the real McCoy. Even the card manufacturers have difficulty recognizing some of these fake cards.

test_times

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
Thanks for your response Ubrales.

I have been used all these cards with the old reader for a long time - on Win XP - with no issues. Thats why I am confused what could be prompting this.

I can take pictures, view pictures on the camera and have downloaded connecting the Camera to Win Vista using the Fie Viewer Utility. Only problem is loading it directly and I dont want to have to buy a new camera just for this.