Trouble Setting up Surround Sound

rhym1n

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
I have an SPDIF cable hooked from my TV to surround sound receiver. I didn't see any light coming out of the other end though. I will get a new cable if that is the problem.

1) If I hook up my Xbox One to my TV through HDMI, then my TV to my surround sound receiver through SPDIF, will I be able to get 5.1 SS from my Xbox One to through the surround sound, or do I have to directly connect these 2 devices?

2) How do I know which type of SPDIF cable to get? I've seen cables such as TosLink, SLink, etc. I'm not sure which I would need.

Solution
Hmm, the manual for your TV is a bit lacking, I don't know if it'll transmit multichannel PCM.

First the easy part, TOSlink cable is used.

Now, when your TV is on, you should have light being transmitted, if you don't the cable maybe defective or it's the TV. Quick check the port to see if it's functioning, just push back the tab on the port to see if it's on (don't look directly into it). You can use anything to do this like a toothpick, just don't shove it into the port. If you see red light, the port is active which means if you attach the cable and red isn't making it out the other end, it's defective.

If it's not on, you'll have to look around in the setttings a little. The manual doesn't explicitly state that it's always...

ien2222

Distinguished
Hmm, the manual for your TV is a bit lacking, I don't know if it'll transmit multichannel PCM.

First the easy part, TOSlink cable is used.

Now, when your TV is on, you should have light being transmitted, if you don't the cable maybe defective or it's the TV. Quick check the port to see if it's functioning, just push back the tab on the port to see if it's on (don't look directly into it). You can use anything to do this like a toothpick, just don't shove it into the port. If you see red light, the port is active which means if you attach the cable and red isn't making it out the other end, it's defective.

If it's not on, you'll have to look around in the setttings a little. The manual doesn't explicitly state that it's always on (though my guess it does) so look in the audio section of the menu to see if there is a toggle to turn it on. Also, in the menu you'll want to set the digital audio/spdif setting to PCM too. If you cannot get it to turn on, I'd suggest calling customer support for help.

If you get it to work, woo!

Next, after plugging into the panasonic, you'll need to set the recevier to D-In, go into setup, select PCM Fix mode and the choose PCM off (just on the off chance your TV will output DD). I think this is the default, but just to be sure.

Make sure you read pages 16 and 17 of the receivers manual for operation of your sound and surround modes and options. Keep in mind that when you are running in standard surround, stereo programming will be played as stereo.

Now, your tv doesn't mention that it will transmit 5.1 over optical so I can't say for sure if you'll get it.

One last thing, if you have a dvd/blue ray/etc connected to your tv, make sure it only outputs dolby digital and/or PCM. If you send dts to your TV it's not going to work.

Solution

rhym1n

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
Okay, hooked it up. I still have to mess with some settings on the DVD/receiver combo. My optical cable was bad, so I bought a new one. The light has always been showing through SPDIF port on TV, but it wasn't coming out the end of the cable until I bought a new cable.

Also, was I supposed to select PCM or RAW on TV audio settings?

I changed it to multi-channel and D-IN on DVD/receiver, and I am getting sound out of 4 of my speakers, but not the center. Again, I believe this is within my settings possibly?

Thanks!