Troubleshooting a few Laptop Power Issues: Loses Charge while turned Off

tunkeytrunks

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
Hi guys I'm in the process of trying to sell my old laptop as I no longer need it, but there are a few issues with it that I'm trying to narrow down the source, in order to give the best description:

basically,

• -the laptop battery continues to drain over time while the machine is off,
    -sometimes when you plug the power adaptor in, it will turn on automatically
    -and finally, closing the lid or putting the machine into sleep-mode results in the screen not powering up when awoken, the fans spin, the keyboard lights come on etc. just the screen doesn't. so you have to hold the power button to power down.

Could this be a battery fault or a laptop fault? Other than that it functions as any other good condition laptop would, it's an fairly old model, so I'm not planning on making big bucks from it, but I'm interested to find out what's wrong, and any possible solutions. It's a HP Envy 14 Beats Edition

I've
run the HP System Diagnostics Battery test and it passed
removed the battery, left it a while plugged it back in and it didn't seem to go down for a while after

tunkeytrunks

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012

I see, do you know if there is anything in particular that could have caused it?