Troubleshooting laptop power circuit with a multimeter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdmobiletech

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
Hello all. Long time visitor, first time poster. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I did find similar threads (i.e. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/57027-35-power-jack-multimeter-test ) but they were either closed already or they didn't answer my question specifically...enough). Sorry, too, for such a long question.

Okay, so I'm working on a clients DELL Vostro 1520 laptop. The unit doesn't power on, doesn't charge, doesn't do anything really. Just sits there pretending to be a laptop. I tried all the usual...with/without power connected, with/without battery inserted, re-seated the RAM, removed the hard drive, etc., etc. Nothing. No charging lights, no sign of life at all. I even happened to have a charged battery from another (working) machine of the same model # and still got nothing. So I take it apart to test the power jack. It is (surprisingly) not loose at all so I wasn't surprised when it reads good power, before and after the jack. Some pictures below (and yes, I'm holding the probes 1-handed...I'm that good haha :)):

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--lLtCvAk0tQ/UVsc0V9_VLI/AAAAAAAAACo/SQDWjYLGH9U/s685/bottom.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GudGAkNKuaM/UVsc0yOBDDI/AAAAAAAAACw/jER4Poc9uFU/s685/top.jpg

Next I checked for power at the battery terminals and (of course) get nothing...all ZEROS. So obviously power is getting lost/shorted somewhere between the 2 points, right? I now tell the customer it's time for a new motherboard but he says "NO WAY!". Can't say I blame him really...he's already bought a brand new DELL battery AND power adapter (at the advice of DELL tech support, of course) trying to fix this on his own, and now he's almost 2 hours deep in a $20/hour job that's also gonna require a $100-$120 replacement motherboard. Just to get his 3-year-old, $200 (maybe) laptop working again. I agree, its just not worth it economically at this point.

Anyways my question is this: How would I go about testing the power circuit of a motherboard to isolate exactly the location where power is lost/shorted so that I could repair, replace, or bypass that location, component, etc.? I've already googled the hell out of DELL Vostro motherboard schematics and LA-4596P (mobo model #) power circuit diagram and several other iterations and combinations of basically the same thing but no luck. All I could find is a diagram of the whole motherboard plus a lot of people talking about how messed up it is that DELL went to so much trouble to make 3rd party chargers/batteries NOT work (and, in some cases, break) in their newer laptops. At this point it's more of a hobby/challenge for me...I like trying to get more life out of something most people would replace. Plus, nothing would make me happier than cheating DELL out of a few hundred dollars of their "planned obsolescence" money. =)

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Hi :)

SEE MY SIG...

Although I appreciate how awkward customers can be in this position...its OBVIOUSLY the main mobo, good diagnosis by the way,,,and hes going to have to pay for a new one or drop lappy in bin...HIS choice....

I would NEVER bother getting my guys to repair a failed board, for one VERY good reason... it WILL fail again and YOU will probably have to pay for a NEW mobo for the customer....

Its just not worth it...

All the best Brett :)

sdmobiletech

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

Hi Brett, thanks for the quick reply. I agree with your advice 100 percent and that's pretty much what I told him. Actually, after putting the laptop back together and returning it to him, I told him that any fix of the current motherboard will only delay its inevitable failure and that I'd try to find the part used somewhere (ebay/craigslist). I've worked in IT for over 10 years and have NEVER really tried to repair a failed motherboard (someone else's at least =)) however, I have done some pretty "unconventional" things in the past and had some good results. Working for a company this is never an issue...replace the mobo (or more likely, replace the laptop) however I'm somewhat new to the mobile tech scene. Plus like I said, its more out of curiosity that I ask.

OH yeah, also I remember reading somewhere yesterday on my google-quest that DELL power adapters transmit some sort of special signal over the inner pin that tells the system its a DELL/OEM charger attached and not a 3rd party replacement which (you probably know) is the reason for so many DELL owners getting the "plugged in but not charging" or "unrecognized adapter" error messages and I remember reading that in some cases, the adapter will send one of the motherboard components a command to go into some sort of "not charging" state that actually gets stored in EEPROM...I'm paraphrasing so I'll have to go through my million-page browser history from yesterday to find the page but it was something along those lines. Anyhow...thanks again.

You are correct about the sensing (centre pin) On Dells...

Also there are various laptops of differing makes that can get problems , that the only cure is to reprogram by Eprom...

We have that capability , but very RARELY use it as in most cases, it SHOULD be new motherboard time anyway..for reasons I stated above...plus of course I like to make money, so its usually a financial decision (Porsche petrol etc lol)

sdmobiletech

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

Wow, that's crazy. Seems almost criminal actually. For a company like DELL to intentionally make their laptops stop working just from using 3rd party power adapters....that would be like if Apple came out with a new iPhone but they changed the power plug design for no reason, making existing iPhone accessories obsolete.....oh wait. =)

On a side note, I heard that newer DELL laptops also store BIOS password data in EEPROM (not just system/admin password). Do you know if this is true? Yeah, I've done it before too but it's a pain in the ass, especially IBM EEPROM's. =_)

That last bit, yes its true, only answer it to blank/reprogram the chip....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS