Trying to clean vintage receiver, need advice.

Vista_Nueva

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I have an old Marantz 2220B receiver that has never been cleaned. Dust is on everything. I've tried to clean the main board with an air can, but the dust is stuck onto all the electronics.

What should I use to clean the board?

Additionally, the volume knob doesn't work properly. Crackling, cutting, loss of bass. I'm wondering if I just need to clean it like suggested in the sticky here, but if not, any ideas as to what I should do about that?

Thanks for any input.

Solution
Mhm...well first unplug the unit and try to place into a dry environment as possible with as least humidity as you can. Place a fan to blow at the entire ciruitry to dry it as much as possible, because any sort of humidity will make the dust stick to everything. If you properly ground yourself, you can touch the electronic, but carefully. Keep off a carpet while doing this also, and its risky but you can use a small microfiber wipe to clean it.

See if you can open up the case and get your hands on the board. Alcohol wipes can help also.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Mhm...well first unplug the unit and try to place into a dry environment as possible with as least humidity as you can. Place a fan to blow at the entire ciruitry to dry it as much as possible, because any sort of humidity will make the dust stick to everything. If you properly ground yourself, you can touch the electronic, but carefully. Keep off a carpet while doing this also, and its risky but you can use a small microfiber wipe to clean it.

See if you can open up the case and get your hands on the board. Alcohol wipes can help also.

Solution

jacobboe89

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
i worked in a place that made some electronic parts at one time , acetone ,iso propyl and distilled water were the few things they would use directly on the electronic parts , i am not so sure you would want to try any of this . keep in mind humidity is the reason why this dirt has bonded to the internals of this receiver . the volume knob having crackle and roughness , there is a cleaner for these sort of controls but you would want to use the lube after useing that cleaner as well . as for getting the dust out of this unit , if it has enough age to it , it shouldn't be as risky about static. keep in mind that the dirt you want out of this if disturbed could bridge a circuit and cause other problems if disturbed . may just want to clean what is easy to clean like the cover and other easy places and forget about the boards.but fix the volume knob for sure and any other scratchy controls.