I want to set up 5.1 audio from my pc to my av receiver, and I need help.

bigreptar

Prominent
Jan 22, 2018
Hi,

I just want to set up 5.1 audio for my pc, I don´t know where to start, first this is why I have:
COMPUTER:
MSI B350 mortar motherboard
Asus GTX1060 3gb OC edition GPU

AV RECEIVER
Harman Kardon AVR 1565
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882121082

So my main question is what should I use, the HDMI port, The toslink port, or the analog audio one?
So as far as I understand I need to send audio/video signal to the receiver and then from the receiver to the TV or monitor right?

The thing is that I´m confused about how to properly do it because when I´m using the monitor I won´t be using the audio system, only when I use the TV for movies or some games I will use the 5.1 audio channels. So will I end plugging in and unplugging it every time I switch from the monitor to the TV?

Could you help me?

bigreptar

Prominent
Jan 22, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from bigreptar : "How to setup 5.1 channels audio in my computer??"

Hi, I don´t know if is the right place to this question, but I posted in home audio fórum and no one gave me an answer.

I just want to set up 5.1 audio for my pc, I don´t know where to start, first this is why I have:
COMPUTER:
MSI B350 mortar motherboard
Asus GTX1060 3gb OC edition GPU

AV RECEIVER
Harman Kardon AVR 1565
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1688212108...

So my main question is what should I use, the HDMI port, The toslink port, or the analog audio one?
So as far as I understand I need to send audio/video signal to the receiver and then from the receiver to the TV or monitor right?

The thing is that I´m confused about how to properly do it because when I´m using the monitor I won´t be using the audio system, only when I use the TV for movies or some games I will use the 5.1 audio channels. So will I end plugging in and unplugging it every time I switch from the monitor to the TV?

Could you help me?

The GPU has dual HDMI ports so you could connect the monitor to one and the receiver/TV to the other. You would have to select your audio device to determine which one the audio goes to but you wouldn't have to play with any cables.
You could also connect the TV and monitor to the HDMI outputs and use toslink to the receiver for audio only. This won't support lossless audio like Dolby TrueHD. There is software to route audio so you could be selective how you use the receiver.
https://github.com/audiorouterdev/audio-router
https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm
http://www.chevolume.com/

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Audio 0
R Audio 2
L Audio 3
A Audio 2
D Audio 4
P Audio 2
N Audio 3
M Audio 2