Trying to connect PC to surround sound but no optical out

JamesZandes

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
Hi,
I've just bought a gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H motherboard for my PC. I have just noticed it doesn't have an optical out slot which is how I connect my sound to my Panasonic SA-PT860 surround sound. Tried using regular audio jacks but couldn't get it to play out of more than two speakers. I have read that you can buy a 'jumper bracket' to plug into the motherboard itself but I'm not confident I know what I'm doing.
Any help would be great, thanks

This is the description of SPDIF port on your motherboard:
SPDIF_O (S/PDIF Out Header) This header supports digital S/PDIF Out and connects a S/PDIF digital audio cable (provided by expansion cards) for digital audio output from your motherboard to certain expansion cards like graphics cards and sound cards. For example, some graphics cards may require you to use a S/PDIF digital audio cable for digital audio output from your motherboard to your graphics card if you wish to connect an HDMI display to the graphics card and have digital audio output from the HDMI display at the same time. For information about connecting the S/PDIF digital audio cable, carefully read the manual for your expansion card
The way I read it: It provides some signal to an expansion / graphics card. I don't think a simple bracket will do (especially when you need optical signal).

You should be able to find an USB audio card with optical out for like $30. First hit on Amazon

This is the description of SPDIF port on your motherboard:
SPDIF_O (S/PDIF Out Header) This header supports digital S/PDIF Out and connects a S/PDIF digital audio cable (provided by expansion cards) for digital audio output from your motherboard to certain expansion cards like graphics cards and sound cards. For example, some graphics cards may require you to use a S/PDIF digital audio cable for digital audio output from your motherboard to your graphics card if you wish to connect an HDMI display to the graphics card and have digital audio output from the HDMI display at the same time. For information about connecting the S/PDIF digital audio cable, carefully read the manual for your expansion card
The way I read it: It provides some signal to an expansion / graphics card. I don't think a simple bracket will do (especially when you need optical signal).

You should be able to find an USB audio card with optical out for like $30. First hit on Amazon

JamesZandes

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
Hi, thanks for your response the card you said wasn't in stock so I bought something that looked similar. At first it didn't work but I fiddled with some settings and got it going. Works perfectly thankyou!

mshami108

Prominent
Sep 23, 2017

I've got the same situation as you. And the card is still out of stock on Amazon. What did you select as an alternate?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Audio 0
R Audio 10
B Audio 5
2 Audio 3
T Audio 0
M Audio 2
D Audio 4
Q Audio 6
C Audio 1
H Audio 2
L Audio 4