trying to decide between buying a 60" led tv or a projector and screen?need some help any thoughts?

covertcode

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
So In short title says it all, im trying to decide between getting a 60" tv and 5.1 surround sound for movies and tv shows. or get a projector and screen and 5.1 surround sound.

struggling to decided since they both have pros and cons.

I will be sitting around 230 cm away - 7.5 ft - 90 inches from the display either the projector or tv.

Solution
There are many points to compare.
First as you are going to sit very near to screen, Plasma are not good bet, as they produce maximum UV rays in all, moreover they produce a lot of heat compared to others. Also the technology designed behind plasma is old and hence you will get lesser performance and features then others.

Second LED TV's are better then plasma, they produce lesser UV rays and hence lesser fatigue on your eyes and brain as compared to plasma. They are designed to support the best resolutions and functions.

But in Plasma and LED TVs the light is emitted from screen to your eyes, hence fatigue level in them is much higher compared to projectors, where it is totally opposite, hence fatigue level is much much lesser.

I...

Lmah

Honorable
May 3, 2013
I would get the TV, projectors... especially high end ones cost a lot to maintain. The ones I deal with, just the lamp replacements are $600 a pop, on top of that they cost $20k each and do not compare in visual quality to a TV, even large screens such as a 60" 1080p.

You sit pretty close to the screen so the potential size advantage of the projector might not be important. At that distance a 60" screen should be fine. If you can get one of the Samsung or LG plasma TVs those would give you the best bang for your buck at that size. If you can rearrange your room to get further away then an Epson projector would be a great option.

autumn_suns3t

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014
NO. Once Pioneer left Plasma business, Panasonic has been the best. They stopped making plasmas in 2013 I doubt you still find new ones though.

Projector makes no sense from that distance.
If you can sit FAR farther and spend MUCH more than a 60" LED, projector is the right way.

From that distance I'd go for a OLED, smaller than 60", way better picture quality.

Sep 3, 2014
There are many points to compare.
First as you are going to sit very near to screen, Plasma are not good bet, as they produce maximum UV rays in all, moreover they produce a lot of heat compared to others. Also the technology designed behind plasma is old and hence you will get lesser performance and features then others.

Second LED TV's are better then plasma, they produce lesser UV rays and hence lesser fatigue on your eyes and brain as compared to plasma. They are designed to support the best resolutions and functions.

But in Plasma and LED TVs the light is emitted from screen to your eyes, hence fatigue level in them is much higher compared to projectors, where it is totally opposite, hence fatigue level is much much lesser.

I totally agree to what Eternal Champion said, projectors are not good for short distance watching, but I will like to say probably my friend forget to take in consideration latest short throw smart LED projectors. Eternal Champion is perfectly correct about conventional lamp projector it needs long distance to project images, which you don't have to consider. Also I totally agree to Lmah, this conventional projector's lamp will cost a bomb like $600 or the lamp cost differ on which projector model you are comparing but generally very high costs.

The Best I suggest is to go with latest Smart LED Projectors which are designed for Home Cinema purpose. It has many many positives....

1. Short Throw - so you can get 60~62inches screen size by keeping projector at distance of 170~175cms away from screen.
2. LED - hence you get a very long life on lamp for example if you watch for 7 hours daily, no lamp change till 10years. Good quality LED Projector give 20k LED lamp life.
3. Smart - This kind of projectors have Android OS inside and supports many features like watching Youtube or other videos online. Sorry forget to say these types have wifi, BT 4, USD3 , 3 hdmi and can do many many things for you. It is same like comparing old generation mobile phone and new generation smart phone, just image........same way smart projectors can make the device many time more productive and can be used for many many purposes.
4. Gaming - Suppose during week end you plan for gaming with your friends, then ??? These new generation projectors are palm size and easy to carry and have the best hdmi v 1.4, which support maximum data transfer rate and hence no lag in games.
5. Active 3D - 3D is future and if you buy a device which don't have 3D then you will curse yourself in some time. This projector have Active 3D, the best and most evolved 3D technology globally, developed by TI in US. If you have never experienced this 3D, then buddy let me tell you, you have not seen the real 3D

If I will be in your place and surely I will look at best performance, less eyes straining, moderate cost, mobility, 3D and smart features, in short I will go with product which has all.

I suggest check out Luxcine z2000sd model projector, you can search on YouTube.

Check their company YouTube Channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/3dProjectors/about
You can check pricing here : http://www.ebay.com/usr/luxcineledprojectors?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

If need any further help, hit me back..

Solution

autumn_suns3t

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

I want to firmly state that sellers and company representants, manifest or masked, should not be allowed to add their biased contribution to this forum.

UV rays? ;)) Old technology and less performance? :))
EVERYONE who visits audio-video enthusiast sites, and serious audiovideo gear review sites, knows Plasma tvs were much superior to LCD as for image quality, and LCD was IMPOSED to the masses making they believe it was better though bad faith obsessive worldwide marketing.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/
That is the acknowledged n.1 video review site in UK, if someone believed what you say, they shall visit it, or ask in any audiovideo enthusiast foruum about Plasma vs LCDs!

All your post feels like a marketer speech: this doesn't suit a forum.

Modern Plasma produce much less heat, it's not perceivable, and can in no way be a problem. ANY PERSON in good faith would say Plasma's weak point is energy consumption. But then a person in good faith would have to say Projectors consume a lot too. What about someone in bad faith who happens to be a projector seller? This one will surely make no mention of power usage :wahoo:

230cm away is a WRONG distance for ANY 60" screen, Plasma LCD Projector, Projectors make sense for screens larger than large Tvs, so they are the FIRST to be out of choices here.

Plasmas were put out of fashion because years ago tv makers realized they could get much more profit shifting their production to LCD.
There is no audiovideo expert who doesn't know this.
Unfindable Pioneer KUROs were the best. Panasonic last Plasmas, made in 2013-14, were the second best.
It is said that, with development going on, OLED Tvs will match Plasma picture quality: of course they currently cost much more.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/category/reviews , filter research for Highly Recommended, and show up to 100 results, to find all best quality Tvs.

I resay it: company representatives and clearly selling-oriented posts should be cleaned away of this forum.

Sep 3, 2014

I firmly believe that people with half knowledge are very dangerous, as they don’t have time and patience to learn and adapt to new technologies nor they have open mind.

Check disadvantages of Plama here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_display

Today is buyers market and no seller can phase out technology which is in demand, always new advancements in technology with better performance and features which outdoes the current and less features technologies. Take any example for technologies of past and you will see that.

Some people still live in past, when we are talking and comparing Plasma, LED TV’s and LED projectors still they are comparing Plasma, LCD and old technology mercury lamp projectors. Wakeup man. Plasma is almost dead, so it LCD. Now is it LED whether TV’s or Projectors.

Today’s new generation smart LED projector with DLP with short throw are far more superior to previous generation LCD projectors, today’s led projector gives 60” Screen from short distance from 230cms. So these type of most advance smart led dlp projectors are the first choice as compared to any other product.

We are new generation of world citizens, we need to think about saving Our Only Planet Earth from toxic substances and stop using products using toxic substances and gases. Plasma contains maximum proposition of toxic gases to bright-up the screen and mercury in maximum quantity. LED is future and use no such gases or mercury.

Also other important thing is buying cost. I suggest any smart led dlp projector, as it will have logical cost and will give host of features which are no match. OLED’s are good but they are very very expensive.

Check the details what I have said here are in tune with latest technology and one can cross check goggling it out. I will also advice to read all details which I have suggest with open mind and you will get right guidance in it. I also suggest people like autumn to first read with open mind the solution given by contributors here.
I love technology and love to help people get best.

God Bless All…

Dirhektor

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015
Mark could you explain why the Z2000SD is advertised as a 4k projector if only has 1280 by 800 native resolution...

Thank you, I like the projector but I find that I little misleading, but I don't know much how resolution works on projectors.

joytoyroydoy

Estimable
Apr 21, 2015
if you purchase 120" LED FHD TV will cost say $8000
if you purchase LG PF87k LED 3D FHD it will cost $1500
i prefer the projector which we could reduce and enlarge size where ever we required and more handy

the life of the LED is easy 5 years and you can replace it every 5 years
but led tv you could not replace it you have to throw it and get another

advantage in 3 LED 3LCD FHD projector is good for the color combination

The shop/ selling people always say it will blur the picture and no perfect black color blah blah ......

Then Why they not showing laser projector which you can use in black surface itself with lesser price $ 4000 , it is a business trick if FHD LED projector will replace all TV concept that they know

Sep 3, 2014

The native resolution is 1280 x 800 but it can play certain 4k videos. It can play 4k but the performance will be not as great as real 4k image quality. But it plays HD and Full HD content with amazing sharpness and color reproduction.

So if you just want to buy this to play 4k content only, then wait a while, but if you want to play 4k content some time and generally play 720p and 1080p with great colors, then it is worth buy. Also many features like wifi, Internet video play, Active 3D etc.