Trying to Decide: Windows Laptop or Windows Tablet?

golf nut

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I am trying to decide on a laptop or a tablet as a second "PC" for my family - right now I just have a desktop in my office. Here is my list of wants:

• - Portable (not a 17" laptop) - thinking 12" to 14" screen size
    - Windows (wife not ready to learn Mac)
    - Wifi or corded internet access is fine - no cellular data requirement
    - Large enough internal storage to offload pictures from camera memory cards when on vacation
    - Touch screen
    - HD display
    - Ability to run Photoshop to work on Canon 7D RAW files if needed

Will a tablet like the Surface Pro 3 do the trick, or do I need something more powerful?

Sorry if this is a noob thread, I'm probably way behind the times. Thanks in advance for your patience and your thoughts!

It depends on what you do in photoshop as it can be very demanding on the gpu which tablets are not made to do. If it is simple image editing then a tablet. Also remember that tablets have less storage space which means you have less space to store you images.

But if it complex image editing then a laptop is preferred.

Voarkin

Estimable
Apr 25, 2015
The Surface Pro 3 is a great option! Not only because it is portable, but because of its RAM and i5 or i7 options for processors please do not be fooled, it is a full on laptop or ultra-book rather without a keyboard. The Surface Pro 3 also offers the ability to get a home dock, so when you do go home, drop it on and it has your favorite keyboard, mouse, and monitor hooked up. Also, as Phillip commented, it does not have a optical drive. This can or may not be a problem, there are many drives on the market that are "Slim Drives" powered off the USB port, but that is another part and cord you would have to carry with you.

golf nut

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I doubt I would need an optical drive (CD/DVD/Blu-Ray) for this device. And the image editing I would be doing is simple Camera Raw adjustments, maybe a layer or two, and then converting to JPEG. Maybe the occasional HDR or panoramic stitching, but nothing crazy. I am not a pro photog.

My guess is a 256GB or 512 GB SSD is going to be plenty for what I need. It will be more of a media consumption device, than a media creation device...