Solved! Trying to figure out my power button

Nov 13, 2018
I bought a 2-year old Asus gl703v. I have the manual but the only thing I glean from that is hitting the power button once puts the laptop to sleep. At night I shut it off completely as waking it from sleep was also a pain (I just don't know how many times I am supposed to hit the button, hold it down or what?). When I turn it back on, sometimes I press the power button a couple of times and it turns right on, sometimes it takes me several tries to get the display, sometimes the keyboard lights come on then turn right back off. I would take it in for service if it needs it, but I will feel like an idiot if it is just because I don't know how to use the power button. Can Windows 10 be part of the problem? Does anybody have one of these ROG notebooks that can give me a clue?

Solution
If your computer is off, you hit the power button once and it should turn on. Nothing tricky to using is. Same thing for waking up from sleep, one short press should do it. If you are mashing the power button more than once you may be turning it on then just shutting it off with that second press or putting it to sleep (which the power button also can do).

If system is shut off, hit the power button once, and wait. If it does not turn on, there is an issue with the system.
If your computer is off, you hit the power button once and it should turn on. Nothing tricky to using is. Same thing for waking up from sleep, one short press should do it. If you are mashing the power button more than once you may be turning it on then just shutting it off with that second press or putting it to sleep (which the power button also can do).

If system is shut off, hit the power button once, and wait. If it does not turn on, there is an issue with the system.

Solution