Trying to find a laptop thaIt can support 32gb of ram

Spankymcbob1

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
I've always have been a desktop guy but I've found myself going to various sites a lot more often for evals. i won't say what I do exactly, but I run a lot of virtual machines, Like I can run anything from A VM server, with several machines on top of that and I think the most machines I ever have had running at once on my desktop at once was like 30. But on average i do about 10-15 for on site stuff. I would be looking at a quad core processor with hyperthreading. But my main need atm is a laptop that can lots of ram like 32gigs. I don't need a super nice video card but I would prefer something that is more business oriented. Like right now for mobile I have a Dell e6410, and a thinkpad T420, I don't like super flashy laptops or touchscreens. I would prefer something with and illuminated keyboard though if possible. My budget is about $600-900. It doesn't need to come with 32gb of ram, it just needs to be able to take 32gb of ram.

To sum things up

- Needs to be able to expand up to 32 gigs of ram

- business oriented, or something solid and easy to work on for things like ram and drive upgrades.

- somewhat decent gpu can be Enterprise/business Gpu

- would like decent resolution, it really helps for virtual machines

- if possible room for 2 hard drives, or an optical drive bay that I can swap out with one.

- Between 600-900 possibly more but would like to keep it under $1100

- Needs to have i7 quad core with hyper threading.

- Also I will be using a 1tb 850 pro drive so I don't care to much about the storage it comes with.

Please read everything before posting This laptop is for my needs, not yours!

I have a powerful desktop already also, this is simply for onsite work, and a couple of other things outside of my house.

For your budget you are looking at used systems or the very lower models of the workstation ones.

Lenovo P models (used to be W), HP Z Boook, Dell Precision. Some gaming systems will also meet your needs.

Quad core i7 with a good video card, you are not going to get unless at the very top of your budget.

Yeah, with the specs that you want you are looking for a laptop that easily exceeds $1,500.

For example, only the 17.3" ThinkPad P70 series has quad core i7 CPUs. It starts at $1,862 with only 8GB of RAM. It costs $310 to increase that to 32GB of RAM. So you are looking at almost 2x your max budget of $1,100.

Spankymcbob1

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
I could bump it up to $3000-3500 but then the company that I work for would own it since they would need to pay for it which they already have offered to. But if you guys could suggest something within that range that would be great. But I would also be interested in a 2nd laptop as well for personal use. I was looking at the dell inspiron gaming laptop with the i7, so if you guys could suggest two for me that would be great. For work it would be between $1000-4000 for person it would be between $500-900

For a home system for gaming, in your budget, probably this Dell with the 960m is good https://www.amazon.com/Dell-15-6-Inch-Quad-Core-i5-6300HQ-Processor/dp/B015PYYDMQ You can get Acer for less or with a bit faster CPU but build quality is lower. I like this one because it mixes a quad core i5 with a mid-range gaming card and an SSD, really the ideal mix for a budget gaming system.

For work, I like Lenovo, so look at their workstation models, as above, about $2,000 for a solid system for business use.