Trying to hook up my dvd player to my smart t.v.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 17, 2018
I'm trying to hook my lg smart t.v. to my haier DVD player and I can hear the movie but can't see the movie it's a black screen I dont 5hink I'm hooking it up right it has two red and white and blue and green and yellow on the back which ones go where plz help me thank you

Solution

Red/white/yellow = RCA or composite connection: red/white handles the (stereo) sound, yellow handles the video. Maximum resolution is going to be 480i (640x480) in NTSC regions, 576i (768x576) in PAL regions.

Red/white/blue/green/yellow = Component connection. Usually, with this type of connection you'll see the 3 video connectors (red/green/blue) hooked together with the audio (red/white) semi-separated, or you may even just have 3 cables...
Would be better if you listed your exact models so we can see what connections they have. If you have a connection with 3 video cables, you just need to match the color connections to the same connections on the TV, they should be pretty standard. Or read on the back what connection it should be, they all would have different markings on them.

spdragoo

Distinguished
Herald
Oct 17, 2011

Red/white/yellow = RCA or composite connection: red/white handles the (stereo) sound, yellow handles the video. Maximum resolution is going to be 480i (640x480) in NTSC regions, 576i (768x576) in PAL regions.

Red/white/blue/green/yellow = Component connection. Usually, with this type of connection you'll see the 3 video connectors (red/green/blue) hooked together with the audio (red/white) semi-separated, or you may even just have 3 cables (red/blue/green) & have a completely separate audio cable. Typically it's limited to 720p/HD (1280x720) resolutions.

On many TVs of the past few years, if they even have the yellow composite plug, it shares the same audio connection as the component input. This is mainly because both of these are analog inputs (vs. digital inputs like DisplayPort or HDMI). Chances are, if you're getting audio but not video, your TV is either a) on the wrong input or b) the cables aren't connected to the right port. First, verify the connection on your DVD player.

• ■ If you have three cables plugged into the video (red/green/blue), make sure all three are plugged into the same color-coded plugs on the TV.
    ■ If you have one cable plugged into the video, make sure it's connected in the yellow port on the DVD player, then make sure it's connected to the yellow port on the TV.

Once you verify the connections, make sure you have the correct input selected on your TV.

• ■ If you're using the single yellow port on the DVD/TV, select "composite" (or "RCA", depending on your TV model)
    ■ If you're using the triple red/blue/green ports on the DVD/TV, select "component"

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.