nfskyosho85

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
After I built my first computer, I realized that I had essentially no use for my old computer. Then I contemplated the idea of turning into a DVR to record shows received from the antenna to watch later. Specs of the machine are as follows:

• Intel Core i5-3350P CPU
    Asus H61 mATX mobo
    6GB generic DDR3-1600MHz RAM
    1TB 7200rpm 6Gbps HDD
    Asus Radeon HD 7470 GPU

In addition, I do not have any operating system at the moment, but I am open to suggestions on what is the best to use for a DVR machine. And what other components would I need to record 1080p video of TV programs coming from the antenna to the 1TB HDD? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Ra_V_en

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
What will be the source of the signal? Is it DVB-T?
If so you need a DVB-T tuner. It can be an internal PCI card or USB dongle, depending of the drivers and software used you can use Linux or Windows but i guess it would be easier to set all working in the second one especially if you didn't use Linux before.

More about software here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_PVR_software_packages

Personally few years ago I used ProgDVB and DVBViewer, but found second one most useful and compatible with my card at that moment (WinFast TV2000 XP).

So first you pick the OS, second you choose the software for viewing/recording and lastly find the card or dongle that is compatible with the OS and the software since if you simply start with the hardware first you can have a huge headache with compatibility especially with drivers.