TV as Computer Monitor

ODoyleRules

Estimable
Aug 9, 2015
So I have a 32'' Sony Bravia HDTV (model: KDL-32EX500) that I've been trying to use as an extended monitor with my LG 24MP56HQ-P monitor. The TV is connected via HDMI to my Geforce GTX 970 while my monior is connected via a DVI to HDMI converter cable.

The Problem:
I am having trouble getting the TV to display in what I'm going to call "real" 1920x1080. 1920x1080 is the native resolution of the TV, I've checked. In short, the best way I can describe things right now is the text and images look blurry out of scale and the shading and color is off. As if well it's in the wrong resolution even though it is saying it's 1920x1080. I know my TV can run in 1920x1080 because I have my ps4 hooked up via HDMI as well and when I switch to it's input it looks clean and crisp like a proper 1920x1080 display should. Same with my LG monitor, looks great in 1920x1080. For those who will ask, I'm sitting about 3.5 feet from the monitor. I understand something will look different as a result but compared to my ps4 that looks so clean at 1920x1080, this just looks sad and is frustrating.

Things I've tried: (running on Windows 10)

1. Going into display settings on my computer, TV, Nvidia control pannel and setting the resolution to 1920x1080 (that's everything's already at)

2. Setting Scene to graphics, Wide Mode to Full, and Display Area to Full Pixel.

3. Changing the sharpness of the display under the TV settings

4. Using the clearType text to fix the text (<- this worked for text on my desktop screen and google chrome, but in games the text still looks blurry even though running the game at 1920x1080 as well)

5. Using the color management and calibration tools.

6. Switching the "Scaling on" in the Nvidia control pannel from display to GPU

7. Using the Nvidia settings for color

Questions
Is what I'm even attempting possible given my specs and size of the TV?

In the Nvidia Control Panel under Display and "Adjust desktop size and position," there is a tab next to Scaling called Size. I tried enabling desktop resizing and clicking "Resize" but the dimensions when resizing seem to think the center of my desktop is on the right side of my TV. When adjusting the width of the Desktop on my TV, since I apparently had some run onto my LG monitor, it adjusted both sides rather than just the one and scaled to the ride side of my TV. I'm not sure if this is related to the problem or not.

I know it's a long post and I'm sorry but any help would be appreciated, been reading other forum posts and haven't had any luck. Appreciate the help! You guys rock!

-ODoyle

Solution
Are you sure it's set to that in every mode? What's happening is that the Bravia defaults to a video timing mode if you input 1080p from a PC. nothing short of the EXACT setting I gave you will work with a PC. It has to be to graphics/full/full pixel, or the text will be blurry.

This is per the user manual btw. ^^; Please read it:
http://www.tv-manual.com/manuals/sony0/Sony_KDL-32EX500_manual.pdf (page 46)

You can always try custom timings in the nvidia panel until you have exact 67.5khz needed.

To answer, yes it should be possible to use this as a monitor. The problem is...Sony is a little awkward with settings and timings.
Hello.

What is your issue exactly? If you have issues with the picture being incorrectly set, try these settings:
Set Scene Select to Graphics, Wide Mode to Full, and Display Area to Full Pixel.

Any other setting will have issues with a PC.

ODoyleRules

Estimable
Aug 9, 2015

I've done all that, sorry that is what my TV was already set to, I'll edit the original post and add it

Are you sure it's set to that in every mode? What's happening is that the Bravia defaults to a video timing mode if you input 1080p from a PC. nothing short of the EXACT setting I gave you will work with a PC. It has to be to graphics/full/full pixel, or the text will be blurry.

This is per the user manual btw. ^^; Please read it:
http://www.tv-manual.com/manuals/sony0/Sony_KDL-32EX500_manual.pdf (page 46)

You can always try custom timings in the nvidia panel until you have exact 67.5khz needed.

To answer, yes it should be possible to use this as a monitor. The problem is...Sony is a little awkward with settings and timings.

Solution