TV Audio through receiver

cattasraafe

Estimable
Nov 22, 2015
So I'm using a receiver for a ps3 and a ps4 going in and sending to a LG tv all cables are HDMI.
I recently upgraded to a smart tv and the TV can also see my media servers. Though when I play a movie using netflix or media server through the TV there is video, but no audio. Do I need another HDMI cable or is there something simple I am missing?

Solution
Solution

cattasraafe

Estimable
Nov 22, 2015
Not sure about the ARC. The receiver is a Yamaha NS-P40BL The TV is an LG 55UF6450. The receiver is setup with the two playstations on the input hdmi ports and there is a third hdmi that is a designated output to the TV (receiver has 5 total hdmi ports 4 in and 1 out). So the only connection the TV has to the receiver is output. It seemed like the only option was to run an HDMI from the TV to one of the receiver inputs. But that just sounded like feedback waiting to happen. Plus I'm not sure if that would somehow degrade quality since its a 4k tv. (plus now that I think about it.. I'm not sure sure that TV has an output)

cattasraafe

Estimable
Nov 22, 2015
So I found the ARC connection on the TV on HDMI slot 2, and through the options I found where to turn on ARC on my receiver So audio works when using netflix andmy media server through the TV. Though, now I have no sound to my playstations :-/ I'm still looking through the options to see if I missed anything. Or even just trying to find a default setting.

(edit) Took some fiddling around but I have everything working now. The settings even change automatically when needing to use ARC or a different source. Thanks for the input I've never had a setup to where I had to use anything like ARC yet.

cattasraafe

Estimable
Nov 22, 2015
Yeah everything is in order. Just took a bit to sift through all the new options and such. Learning about the ARC helped did the trick. Without that I'm sure I'd still be fed up and bumbling around.