TV has perfect picture but no sound?

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Just picked up a 50" plasma TV for free that works perfect except their is no sound. Anyone know what could be causing no sound? Went into menu and resetted soundings and nothing. I tried finding an option to enable and disable TV speakers but their is no such option. I turn the volume up and the volume displays appears and the slider moves as if the sound is being increased but nothing. I currently have it connected to external speakers via the white/red output for sound as a quick fix but would like to get the TV speakers working.

Solution

A converter like this would do the magic for you:
https://www.amazon.com/C2G-40018-Coaxial-Toslink-Converter/dp/B0002J2MV4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1495638182&sr=8-4&keywords=optical+to+coaxial+digital+audio+converter

Rodan1337

Prominent
May 23, 2017
Well getting TV's for free arent the most trustworthy things to do, but you will have to spend money to replace them, because it seems the previous owners blew them from going too loud for too long. I dont know how to replace tv speakers myself, and you didnt provide the company and model of tv, so I cannot help you further.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
It's a sanyo dp50741 .

robert600

Distinguished
If it were me ... I'd take advantage of that coaxial digital audio output ... even a fair to middling 5.1 receiver with that as an input would give you very nice sound. You wouldn't miss those tv speakers one bit ... as a general rule ... tv speakers are kinda junky anyway.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
I would use the coaxial digital output, but my Samsung DVD receiver doesn't have support coaxial digital, only 3.5mm, RCA and digital optical. I'd hate to buy another receiver, as my current Samsung receiver has perfect sound in my opinion. My Xfinity DVR supports digital optical audio out, so that could always be an option.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
I don't feel like wasting time and money de-soldering and soldering ic chip. Would it hurt to not replace the ic chip and speakers, and just use my DVD receiver? Other than no sound from the TV's speakers, the TV works perfect with an amazing picture.

robert600

Distinguished

A converter like this would do the magic for you:
https://www.amazon.com/C2G-40018-Coaxial-Toslink-Converter/dp/B0002J2MV4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1495638182&sr=8-4&keywords=optical+to+coaxial+digital+audio+converter

Solution

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Will diffidently get one, but want to wait a few months to see how the rest of the TV is going to work. Wouldn't want get it and the TV crap out. I'd have no use for it if the TV crapped as my fairly new LCD TV has optical out.

robert600

Distinguished