Solved! TV Optical Audio Knocks Out Stereo Receiver

Jan 14, 2019
Hello-
My TV is hooked up to my stereo receive via an optical cable. Sometimes, usually at a high volume moment, the audio on my receiver turns off. I thought it was my receiver so I replaced it and still have the same issue. Any suggestions?
Thanks! Jim

Solution
It does sound like you just don't have a receiver with enough power or stability for the speakers. Power specs on AVRs have gotten inaccurate as the manufacturers have taken to giving power with 1 channel driven, which is never going to happen, and at 4-6 ohms. A receiver that is rated 100 watts per chaneel might only produce 40 watts when all the speakers are going.
I say again you kids come with wackiest of problems. :)

I would not suspect optical, I would suspect high volume coupled with difficult speakers triggering receiver's protection system.

But OK, you have done all kind of tests and this ONLY happens with optical, laser too strong? Use a 30 meter toslink cable see what happens.

Jan 14, 2019

Reply: Thanks for your suggestion. I'm going to try connecting the audio to the receiver via ARC and see if that rectifies the problem.

It does sound like you just don't have a receiver with enough power or stability for the speakers. Power specs on AVRs have gotten inaccurate as the manufacturers have taken to giving power with 1 channel driven, which is never going to happen, and at 4-6 ohms. A receiver that is rated 100 watts per chaneel might only produce 40 watts when all the speakers are going.

Solution
Jan 14, 2019

Thanks for your suggestion. I appreciate your effort to help me.
I doubt that it's the speakers though. The reason being that I had the same problem with the previous receiver and these speakers came with that previous receiver implying that stability or enough power shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks again though for your help. Much appreciated.