TV surround sound plays through Netflix

suzinmiami

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016
I have a Bose Lifestyle 28 surround sound hooked up via optical cable from Bose to Directv box. Surround sound works fine for tv, but when I go to Netflix app, I still hear the tv playing instead of Netflix.

Solution
Your Audio cable should ONLY run from the TV to the surround.

HDMI from DirecTV box to the TV, and ensure you're Audio out is set to optical and not the TV speakers.
Is the netflix app on the TV itself, or on your Directv box? You must have the audio coming from the box, either going through the tv, then to your surround system, or direct to your surround system. Sounds like only one audio line is comming through. For example, if you have optical (or any connection) from your box to your surround system ONLY, when you use your apps on your TV, that will only be outputted through your TV speakers as it is not being fed to your surround system.
Hope this is clear enough, and i have not confused you any further!

Good luck,
Kenton.

Assuming I'm reading your post correctly OP, Kenton has hit the nail on the head.

Your optical should be running from your TV to your surround sound. You can run HDMI from DirecTV to the TV.

That way, whatever is currently playing on your TV will play via the surround sound.

What you have now, is constant audio running from your DirecTV to your surround sound - your surround sound has no way of knowing what's actually being displayed on the TV at any given time (DirecTV, Netflix etc), and has only the one audio source (DirecTV).... so that's what it's playing.

suzinmiami

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016

suzinmiami

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016