TV Tuner for Vizio M series M50-DL

Kisianik

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Hi

I need help to get OTA (Over The Air) local broadcast. My wife liked Vizio M series for picture quality, but Vizio removed TV tuners (I guess to cut costs) on P and M series completely and left on some olderm cheaper models, like E series.

I don't need DVR (but if it is only available in combination, no problem), only good or better, excellent TV tuner, I am getting Mohu Leaf 30 indoor antenna already.

I tried to look myself, but I think I am missing something and it takes enormous time checking reviews and features.

Appreciate for suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Kisianik

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013

Almost there, thanks a lot for pointing me to Channel Master, but I found this on Amazon

Be on the lookout if you are hooking this up to a 4K tv
Bychuckon July 14, 2016
Verified Purchase
I was very excited to get this product. Unfortunately I bought a 4K tv and when my tv and antenna installer tried to hook up my 4K
Tv with the channel master we just got a dark a dark screen. Thankfully we bought thru Amazon and returned and got another. When I got this one I installed it and still got a dark setup screen. I read the instructions and low and behold you have to download something from the computer to upgrade it to 4K. I only use an iPhone and I pad and junked my computer. Again thank goodness for Amazon, I returned it and bought a TiVo and have to pay a monthly fee that I was trying to avoid. This is a warning if you are trying to hook it up to a 4K tv

I will have Vizio 4K TV, what kind of update I suppose to look for? It is stated on Channel Master page that MAX resolution is 1080p/1080i, and I need 2160p. I think, OTA broadcasts only 1080i resolution (seen it somewhere), but still, someone had a problem, so could I?!

What is your best guess in this situation?

Thanks for your time.

Hmm, my guess is that it probably has been updated since...? It should work with any TV usually, this shouldn't be a problem. He probably had a defective one as I haven't heard anyone else having issues with a 4K tv, and his comment doesn't say it's Vizio either. It may have been another 4k tv from a cheap brand.

For what item is that review? The one without a DVR? The CM-7003 is an updated product.

Kisianik

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Channel Master CM-7500TB1 Dual-tuner DVR with program guide, 1TB

People also are saying that they lost some channels with this tuner, I just finished reading all 1,2,and 3 star reviews there. Still contemplating about purchasing even basic unit, since technical characteristics looks the same with top of the line one.

But so far those units have less negative reviews compare to other ones I checked previously, so I still hope to find more sensitive unit. At least no one complained about mechanical issues, except broken port right out the box.

I wonder, is there any review sites for those tuners, do you know any of them?

Thanks again for your time and patience.

There is not gonna be a perfect review, in the 90%, it's a minor risk. The good thing is, if it ways SOLD by Amazon, or FULFILLED by Amazon, returning could not be easier, u can even have them come to your door to pick up, at no cost to you, assuming you are in the U.S.A.

I don't know anything else really. I think TiVo makes some okay OTA boxes, and they're around the same price.

But yeah:
https://www.cnet.com/products/channel-master-dvr-plus/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/dvrs-digital-video-recorders-reviews/channel-master-dvr-review/

I'm not entirely sold to the brand either. xD Just look around and check the reviews. I simply don't really check this as until recently, most TVs has an internal tuner...

Kisianik

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013

No problem mate, SAGA continues, this time I posted elsewhere and got some advises as well, and found more advises, about to start looking though them.

Kisianik

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
It is over now.

I end up with ViewTV AT164. Channel Master 7003 remote frequencies are the same as my Vizio sound bar, so increasing volume on sound bar causing switching channels erratically on Channel Master. ViewTV has the same problem, but to a much lesser degree, just USB playback pop up at times. Also, Channel Master remote has smaller buttons and their location is not intuitive.
Both boxes are using the same interface (I guess the same chip) with minor differences and share the same problems, HOWEVER, ViewTV came with HDMI cable and Channel Master did not, another small save.
Channel selection is the same for both items. With Leaf Mohu antenna I got everything what is available in my area, and the signal strength is excellent.

Thanks everyone for participation and help.