TV won't recognize laptop when connected via HDMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendrickzw

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014
I have a new Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and a 5 year old Element LCD TV. When connected via HDMI, the laptop recognizes that it is plugged into a LCD TV, but the TV just says "no signal." I know the HDMI port on the laptop is fine, works on other TVs. And other devices work on my TV (Roku, BluRay, etc). But I can no longer get laptops/PC's of any kind to work on my TV (I have tried the laptop of a friend, it also does not work on my TV). So to summarize:

My laptop + My TV: TV "No Signal"
Friend's laptop + My TV: TV "No Signal"
My laptop + Friend's TV: Works fine
Other HDMI devices + My TV: Works fine

So to me that seems fairly definitive that the problem is with the TV somehow, but I don't know why it works with some HDMI devices but not laptops... I don't know enough about the little handshake protocols that TV's and computers do (not even sure if that's really a thing or not). I have tried cycling the windows projection mode (duplicate vs extend). I have tried different HDMI ports on the TV (it has 3). I have tried rebooting the laptop while connected. I have run out of ideas... please help?

Solution

Connect your laptop to the TV. There are 2 ways. (1) Go to Control Panel then to Display then select Project to a second screen and finally select project to second screen only.
(2) At your Desktop screen do a right mouse click and select screen resolution from the menu. Then on the Multiple Display bracket select "Show Desktop only on 2 (This the 2nd screen which should be your (TV)
You may need to set the video output to extend and change the resolution of the 2nd display to match your TV. Your older Element TV may be 720p and your friends' TV is 1080p so maybe that is why it works on his. Other devices will automatically adjust their output to the TV when connected via HDMI.

Orlando Gonzalez

Estimable
Dec 7, 2014

Connect your laptop to the TV. There are 2 ways. (1) Go to Control Panel then to Display then select Project to a second screen and finally select project to second screen only.
(2) At your Desktop screen do a right mouse click and select screen resolution from the menu. Then on the Multiple Display bracket select "Show Desktop only on 2 (This the 2nd screen which should be your (TV)

Solution

lsoro

Estimable
Apr 12, 2015

I have the same prob., and the solution above didn't work. I once had the connection working, but not anymore. Tried every setting available from control panel and INTEL graphics settings.

ykad

Estimable
May 7, 2015
I HAVE AN FIX !!
I had the same problem where my laptop would not connect to my tv it was like there was some files missing so I went to device manager and went on display adaptors and rolled back drivers and then re updated the drivers straight after bit of a long process but my hdmi cable has been working fine since doing so.
;)

CharlieArehart

Estimable
Oct 6, 2015
I had a similar problem. A yoga 2 pro, where the external monitor worked fine if I chose "duplicate" or "second screen only" when telling it to use an external monitor (the f10 key). But when I'd choose "extend" (to have one display on my laptop and one on the monitor), the external monitor would not show any display (the TV said there was no input).

I just didn't want to try the last offered suggestion of removing and updating drivers, if I could avoid it.

So here's good news: I found that changing the refresh rate for the monitor worked, as configured using the PC's settings. It's too complicated to share the details for those who've never done it, as the steps differ slightly for each Windows version. Just google for change monitor refresh rate windows nn, where nn is your version of Windows, and you'll find steps for you.

I just changed it from the current rate to one of the other offered rates. No one can tell you what will work for you. Fortunately, Windows asks you whether to accept the change or not, and if somehow you can't see or reply to that prompt because something's amiss with the choice you made, it will revert back automatically in about 15 seconds.

Just sharing this alternative possibility for this problem. Hope that's helpful.

yavuzozdemirel

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
I had the same problem until 2 days ago. I had tried every single suggestion to make the HDMI port work but none had worked. Then, I solved the problem by chance. It works like this: First, you should turn off the TV (PC can be working at the time). Then connect the HDMI cable the TV. Next, connect the cable to your PC. The screen of the laptop should go blank the moment you connect the cable to the laptop.

I tried to connect the cable while the TV is working (to test my method), and I didn't get the image on TV. But when I turn off the TV and connect it, it works :)

I hope this will also work for you. I would be happy if you let me know if it works or not.

weirdphenomena

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
This is about the laptop Acer Aspire V3-772G connecting to a Humax TV LGB-23DC through the HDMI output.
The TV does not recognise the laptop (No Signal), and the laptop does not recognise the TV/monitor (non existent).
Weird phenomena!
As soon as I got to the website of Humax, the TV-screen lit up. It worked!
When I browsed to an other website the TV-screen went black again.
As I returned to the Humax website again, the TV got connected again, and showed
the proper display. Funny, is'nt it?
The Intel Graphics Control Panel does recognise the correct Monitor: Digital TV LGB-23DC, and
everything works as it should.
However, after two minutes or so the TV turns black: the connection is lost.
Then, I returned with my browser to the Humax website, like I did before.
Lo and behold, the TV came back with full display. ??? !!!!
Then, I started to suspect my left hand resting on the laptop near the HDMI-connector.
I decided to wiggle the HDMI-cable a bit in its slot.
This did make a change!
[similar findings with the USB slots, but that is another subject]
Summary:
The material dimensions of the HDMI cable connector and the laptop-slot may vary too much in tolerance, so that
they just don't always match. (This may happen with USB-cables and certain laptop USB slots as well)
Fiddling with the connector in the slot may help!
Changing from website can too!! Everything to my knowledge speaks against this, but it has been my repeated
observation a few hours ago.
I can't help what I have observed, but my note of it may be of help to you.

weirdphenomena

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016

Strange Phenomena finally Identified:
Finally, I found out that wiggling the HDMI-cable could toggle the connection on/off.
It had been the (female) connector of the HDMI-cable inside the TV, that had become buggy.
Maybe by tugging the cable too wildly in the past,
but anyway, thorougly checking the connections
is one of the véry first things to be executed, and wich
could save you from a long and fruitless search!

bobigb

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.