TV won't stream audio to my bluetooth headphones

tuneman59

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017
I have an LG TV with one audio output which happens to be optical. I purchased a bluetooth transmitter and headphones and it works great except when I try to use the headphones while streaming Netflix, Amazon, or Vudu there is no audio to the headphones. It is all hooked through the same port! Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Solution
No sound is actually good, that signals it's trying but somehow...

Look for a menu setting under audio for PCM/surround, try both. Also another setting for Always Downsample, YES.

tuneman59

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017
Yes, the headphones are something I purchased off of Amazon. They work great, I have tried them on the TV and on my PC. The transmitter is the second new one as i recieved another one from the manufacturer trying to rule out it being the possible problem. I now have 3 transmitters and the headphones work well. When I watch regular TV (not streaming) everything works great but when I try to watch Netflix, Vudu,or Amazon video (streaming content) there is no sound at all. Go back to regular TV and the sound comes back. Its all coming out of the same (optical) audio port on the TV.

tuneman59

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017

Yes, the headphones are something I purchased off of Amazon. They work great, I have tried them on the TV and on my PC. The transmitter is the second new one as i recieved another one from the manufacturer trying to rule out it being the possible problem. I now have 3 transmitters and the headphones work well. When I watch regular TV (not streaming) everything works great but when I try to watch Netflix, Vudu,or Amazon video (streaming content) there is no sound at all. Go back to regular TV and the sound comes back. Its all coming out of the same (optical) audio port on the TV.

tuneman59

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017

There are two choices. you can turn the tv speaker on or aff, and you can pick Auto or PCM. There is 1 optical out on the TV and that is it for audio out! There is sound from the TV. I have the signal split with an optical splitter. One side to my soundbar which works great regardless, and the other side goes to my bluetooth transmitter which also works great if you are not streaming. I also took the soundbar out of the equation and hooked the transmitter directly to the audio out (signal not split) it has the same outcome.

Jan 4, 2019
Just saw this post and wonder if you ever resolved?

I have the exact opposite issue, I get perfect sound to headphones via bluetooth transmitter plugged into TV via Optical Digital port when I watch through my Google Chromecast, i.e. Netflix. But when I switch to TV (routed through an RCA antenna), I get no sound at all, though there is sound through the TV speakers.

My tv remote menu options under Audio have no options for switchingn to PCM or anything else for that matter. It just doesn't make sense that it works for one and not the other!

Jan 11, 2019