Tweaking my Dell Inspiron 3542 Ci7

Ayush_Wesker

Estimable
Aug 26, 2015
I have Dell Inspiron 15 3542 Ci7/8GB/1TB with 840m 2GB nvidia GPU laptop over 1 yr old. Its warranty has expired. I am a hardcore gamer( even if I have to play games at lowest settings).
I use this laptop for 3D modelling and lots of gaming. I want to know all the tweaks and softwares and boosters that can unleash the power of this laptop so that it can boost gaming. I have played mostly all the games till now(except COD BO3, Batman Arkham Knight as the lag a lot) at mid-low settings. So are there anything I can do to boost its gaming performance? Thanks in advance.

Solution
We have got exactly the same laptop and frankly nothing is possible to be done in order to improve your frame rate during gaming. Both cpu and gpu are soldered to the motherboard and therefor they cannot be upgraded, no overclocking either is possible to any of them.
However, you can greatly improve your everyday working experience by sacrificing your 1Tb hdd for a smaller SSD, (i suggest samsung 850 EVO or 850 PRO).
Another thing you can do in order to achieve a slight improvement is to replace your 8Gbyte 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, for another that has much better (ie lower) CAS latency.
You only care about the lowest possible timing value on 1600Mhz since this is the operation frequency of your laptop. I bet that you are using the standard...
Jan 3, 2016
We have got exactly the same laptop and frankly nothing is possible to be done in order to improve your frame rate during gaming. Both cpu and gpu are soldered to the motherboard and therefor they cannot be upgraded, no overclocking either is possible to any of them.
However, you can greatly improve your everyday working experience by sacrificing your 1Tb hdd for a smaller SSD, (i suggest samsung 850 EVO or 850 PRO).
Another thing you can do in order to achieve a slight improvement is to replace your 8Gbyte 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, for another that has much better (ie lower) CAS latency.
You only care about the lowest possible timing value on 1600Mhz since this is the operation frequency of your laptop. I bet that you are using the standard CL11 memory while it is possible to find a CL9. There will be an improvement but i guess it will be hardly noticeable during the heavy gaming demands.

Just like someone mentioned above, if gaming is your interest also, then you must purchase a separate and rather expensive gaming laptop (i7 quad core with a gaming gpu), or an equivalent desktop pc without needing to pay a fortune!

Solution