Two Channel Music + Movie Build for under $5k?

stuccoholmes

Estimable
Oct 3, 2015
I’m still very new to the hi-fi world and a lot of the jargon/technical stuff goes over my head so
please bear with me.

I’ve been looking to upgrade my 7 year old HTIB and TV for awhile, I’ll be getting a Smart TV - 4K 55” in a couple months. I recently also upgraded my turntable but the current system is not able to handle low end that well so I figured I needed to add a sub, but the vintage receiver doesn’t haven’t an out.

I had the idea to try and build a system that could handle 60% music and 40% Movies/TV (maybe even more 70/30). Most of the music will be analog but the girlfriend and I do host and like our bass heavy electronic music as well which is stored on the PC.

I’m leaning towards just keeping a solid two channel system until I move out of my apartment into a bigger space. The current room is L13” x W27” x H8”. The couch will be about 10-12 feet away from the speakers/TV.

Current Turntable Set up:
Rega Planar 3 w/ 2M blue
2x Kef C55s
Vintage luxman receiver

My current home theatre specs aren’t worth noting.

I get an amazing discount on the following brands, so I would like to keep the system to them if possible (other than the sub, I might be leaning towards a sealed SVS)

Naim, Cambridge Audio, Rega, NAD, Totem, Paradigm, Focal, Marantz, Bryston, Denon, Panasonic, Yamaha, Sony,

Would love to keep everything under $5000 CAD if possible. I’m currently thinking something along the lines of:

F/L: Paradigm Prestige 15B paired with a sub or pair of Focal Chorus 726 BS sans sub
Sub: SVS-SB1000

Speaker choice of course affects the rest of budget. Do I go with something like a NAD C368 Integrated amp (with DAC + phono stage). I can’t say I watch many blu-rays, we stream pretty much everything. Or do I go with something like a Marantz 6011 with a Rega fono phono stage to leave upgrade room?

I’m all ears for any advice.

Solution
I would do a Cambridge Audio integrated as opposed to the NAD. Better sounding imo and certainly more reliable.
The Prestige need to be warmed up a bit but you don't want to lose the detail and extension that they have. The Bryston speakers would be another option. Very dynamic, perhaps more forward than the Paradigm. Excellent bass.
I would also recommend Paradigm speakers. Their subwoofers that can be used with the PBK kit offer great room correction. Much more room and placement than the SVS.
If you have enough left over in your budget then a Cambridge integrated amp would work well with the Paradigm or Focal speakers.
By the way you don't need sub out to use a subwoofer. You can get a speaker to line level converter that will give you a pre out on the Luxman. Some subs have speaker level inputs and won't need it.

stuccoholmes

Estimable
Oct 3, 2015
The prestige 95F's seem to get a lot of shit on the audiophile forums. Granted if anything I'll be looking at the 75's.

I'll be looking to get rid of the luxman and kefs to save save space and have a simple two channel system for everything. The NAD C368 is really looking appealing, the DD HDM-2 module add-on which allows 4K pass through should be released soon which will help aggregate inputs.

I'm leaning towards spending more money on speakers instead of electronics, so the NAD C368 takes away the need for an external phono, DAC and seems to be a highly rated hybrid. I'll have to give it a demo but that way it leaves me more room to budget for a pair of Prestige 75's or even Aria 936's which I hear have a little more bass. I think if I went with a pair of nice towers, in this room size I might not even need a sub.

stuccoholmes

Estimable
Oct 3, 2015

I'm just trying to save space as it's not a big apartment, I don't think I necessarily need surround. The NAD C368 has a built in phono, DAC and multiple digital inputs. The prestige 95F's dont' seem to get a lot of love on the audiophile forums but I think with going with a hybrid amp I can save money to put towards something like a nice pair of Paradigm 75Fs or even the Focal Aria 936's depending on what sounds better. With a nice pair of $3k towers, I might not even need a sub.

I would do a Cambridge Audio integrated as opposed to the NAD. Better sounding imo and certainly more reliable.
The Prestige need to be warmed up a bit but you don't want to lose the detail and extension that they have. The Bryston speakers would be another option. Very dynamic, perhaps more forward than the Paradigm. Excellent bass.

Solution