Floorstanding Speakers Help

arsenal009

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Hi, I currenlty have a 5.1 polk audio system and I'm looking to upgrade but I don't know too much about home theatre.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16882290066

I also have an Onkyo TXNR509:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am thinking of upgrading my front speakers with Jamo Classic 8 Floorstanding Speakers:

https://hifiup.com/product/jamo-clas...eaker-denmark/

I have a few questions:

1. The Jamo speakers are 4 ohms. The specs for my receiver only mention 6 & 8 ohms. Will the speakers work with my receiver?

2. The Jamo speakers are 150W long term power & 200W short term power. Does that mean they are 150W RMS? If yes, my receiver outputs 80W @ 8 ohms, will they work with my receiver?

3. If they don't work, would they work with amplifiers? I don't know too much about amplifiers, is this something my receiver supports?

4. I sometimes watch movies but usually listen to music and have the subwoofer off as it gives me a headache. My current front speakers are satellite speakers and barely have any base. I like the flexibility of controlling the amount of base via the subwoofer controls.
Will floorstanding speakers have base to them? If yes, will I be able to control it?

Thanks

Solution
Thanks for the links but none of them work as intended. Replacing the front speakers is the right way to go given how you use your system.
1. The receiver does give dynamic power ratings into 4 ohm speakers so it might work with the Jamos..
2. They are rated at 90db for 1 watt at 1 meter which is fairly efficient. That means that they will play pretty loud without a lot of power. The receiver should work power wise.
3. It is possible to connect a speaker to line level converter to the front speaker terminals of the receiver and connect a power amp there. I don't think it makes sense in terms of price unless you can find the right amp for the speakers at the right price.
4. Tower speakers like the Jamo will play bass if you set the...
Thanks for the links but none of them work as intended. Replacing the front speakers is the right way to go given how you use your system.
1. The receiver does give dynamic power ratings into 4 ohm speakers so it might work with the Jamos..
2. They are rated at 90db for 1 watt at 1 meter which is fairly efficient. That means that they will play pretty loud without a lot of power. The receiver should work power wise.
3. It is possible to connect a speaker to line level converter to the front speaker terminals of the receiver and connect a power amp there. I don't think it makes sense in terms of price unless you can find the right amp for the speakers at the right price.
4. Tower speakers like the Jamo will play bass if you set the receiver to large front speakers, You won't have the same kind of adjustments that you have with the subwoofer.
Most subs are annoying one note boom. There are good ones. If you use very small speakers the problem is that the subwoofer is rolling off before the satellites come in so you get a suckout or gap in the bass response. You can't fix that unless you get a larger satellite that goes low enough. The woofer can't be used to correct that because it can't operate high enough. That's why it's a subwoofer. There still has to be a woofer that can blend with it.
Listen to the Jamos before you buy them. Owners seem to feel the bass it good but it may not be to your taste everywhere else.

Solution