Two Early iPad Problems: Weak Wi-Fi, Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

afciscoguy

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
95 Degree's?? WHAT??

If you live anywhere warm, or, Lord forbid take your new iPad to the beach, have a good time with that :)

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
"While it may represent the most bleeding edge of a new technology"
.....Really? This thing is bleeding edge? Really? How can anyone seriously make this statement? It's a bigger, faster(better damn well be), iPod touch. End of story.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Nexus52085[/nom]"While it may represent the most bleeding edge of a new technology".....Really? This thing is bleeding edge? Really? How can anyone seriously make this statement? It's a bigger, faster(better damn well be), iPod touch. End of story.[/citation]
They meant it literally, bleeding....

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]doc70[/nom]They meant it literally, bleeding....[/citation]
I guess the Fermi is the only tech hot enough to actually cauterize wounds.

seraphimcaduto

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
launch day and people are already looking for problems, could we do this for every product for every manufacturer? I don't care either way but if you are going to look for every problem on a launch product, do so equally.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
I have to ask, is that 35'C while its on a table in a room thats 35'C, or 35'C of the unit while its sitting on your lap while your infront of a heater.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]opmopadop[/nom]I have to ask, is that 35'C while its on a table in a room thats 35'C, or 35'C of the unit while its sitting on your lap while your infront of a heater.[/citation]
Well, they're talking about a heat limitation (as in a heat that if exceeded, causes the device to fail), not heat generation (the amount of heat the device generates). Like afciscoguy said, good luck taking that to the beach. Hell, it's already in the high 20's C, low 80's F here in florida. It might fail if I use it in the sunlight.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
"Apple. It just works."*

*(when the ambient temperature is 80 degrees F, the relative humidity is 40%, as long as you didn't want to do anything besides what all the other tablets will also do for what will most likely be a lower price, assuming we haven't had to delete any of your forum posts this year, and (very important) as long as you've daily looked into your reflection in the ipad and recited i love steve 5 times)

codeman03xx

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
thats not too bad my video card runs at 90C (which i RMA'd might i mention). Yeah imagine a ipad with a Nvidia 480 GTX o_O. OUCH BURN YOUR MR. HAPPY RIGHT OFF. Yeah 90C would melt your gym shorts maybe not jeans. So 95F isn't to bad those chips are probably made to get up to 70C before crashing hopefully. Or just wait and buy an HP slate. And on WHERE THE HELL IS MY SOLID STATE COOLING, i guess it requires to much power.. :( maybe some day.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]seraphimcaduto[/nom]launch day and people are already looking for problems, could we do this for every product for every manufacturer? I don't care either way but if you are going to look for every problem on a launch product, do so equally.[/citation]
Face it: This product has received a lot of press since well before its launch. Its actual launch is a mainstream news story on major tv networks. But when problems are reported you expect it to be treated like any other tech product?

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]codeman03xx[/nom]And on WHERE THE HELL IS MY SOLID STATE COOLING, i guess it requires to much power.. maybe some day.[/citation]
It's called a heatsink.

No moving parts involved.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
95F seems really low to actually cause hardware failures. I wonder if they implemented that to protect against lawsuits claiming they were burned by the aluminum casing on the back.

In which case... I once again blame all the lawyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.