Two Early iPad Problems: Weak Wi-Fi, Overheating

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragunover

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]ikefu[/nom]95F seems really low to actually cause hardware failures. I wonder if they implemented that to protect against lawsuits claiming they were burned by the aluminum casing on the back.In which case... I once again blame all the lawyers.[/citation]
celsius...fail.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]dragunover[/nom]celsius...fail.[/citation]
[quoteApple lists operating temperatures of the iPad at 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C), which could easily be exceeded if exposed to sunlight for a length of time.][/quote]

ivan_chess

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Who cares about weak Wifi? It's not like this device only browses the internet and checks email... Oh, wait, that is all it does.

rf88he102

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
okay, i didn't read al the posts but i had the time to go to the apple store today and take a quick look at it, I can tell you something being an iphone user, it doesn't make me remember my iphone at all.
The only thing I can say is that I was very impressed with it, is fast, movies look great, games play much better than on an itouch, ibooks is okay, maps are impressive.
my thoughts..
-about the right size
-resolution was impressive (720p is enough for the size) and movies look great
-keyboard not that awesome, don't try to write a 10 page paper on it.
-sound.. hope there is improvement on the upcoming gen, still you can use headphones
-reading books felt right, didn't hurt my eyes and feels a little natural
-Gaming.. definetly bye bye psp, and as for the DS i dont personally own one.
-surfing the web is the most impressive for me, felt better than home and computer, from my point of view we use a mouse to pint at something but the first reaction we have is to use our fingers to point.
-needs multitasking.. i guess is just timing since they can jump the revision of the iphone, they have to offer something impressive on their keynote.

my conclusion, if you can hold for next gen do it, but if you buy it i think you are going to enjoy it. personally i want one but i might wait because i have the experience of buying the first iphone and we all know apple.
sorry for the length

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Seriously rf.. Sounds a little fanboish. Surf betting then on a desktop. Um.. Get time to get a new desktop. Games. This is not a gaming machine it's not made for, and I doubt it will ever out do the psp. Although I'll admit I guess that's a bit synical of me but I don't see it. Not to mention for the price, I'd stick with a netbook.. Just saying.

Sera you just made it sound like this only happened to the ipad. It happens to damn near everything. People that are smart enough won't buy brand new car models because of the generation woes. And plenty of other products. Obviously more hype something receives more the backlash when stuff goes wrong it's the way of the world.

Personally I probably won't never get one, I just can't justify spending that amount on something other things can do better. Although a maybe without a touch screen. And even if I did getting a 1st generation of any tech is a no no in book. Patients is the key.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I have a Dell laptop and a Acer netbook and while I do not own an iPad or any other Apple products, but I will be purchasing an iPad for my wife in the near future.

Why? Because she has tried to use a laptop previously and recently tried the Acer netbook and she absolutely hates both of them almost as much as she hates her desktop. She wants something that she can use anywhere in the house and while she is doing other things. Sadly the laptop/netbook fail at this for the same reasons because they are both the same package design in different sizes.

She wants something that she can flop on the couch with surf the web while she watches tv with the kids, sit on the laundry room table while she folds clothes, the kitchen counter while she fixes dinner.

The whole clamshell laptop design is not casual friendly in this manner, they are cumbersome to hold on your lap when you flop down on the couch or sideways in an arm chair or lying on the bed etc. You have to conform to the equipment far more than the equipment conforms to your position.

People that say that everything the iPad can do a netbook or a laptop can do better are not looking at the device for what it is, instead they are trying to fit it into the traditional computer role. The truth is 90% of home users have no use for a standard desktop or laptop. They only need to surf the web and check email.

The touch screen and tablet format is far more usable in non-traditional computing situations than any clamshell design. Like my wife says, in her mind laptop/netbook designs are portable desktops that you have to use the same way on a horizontal surface to be comfortable.

pdman

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
Let me see... After about 5 miutes of research:

Operating temps:

iPad 32 deg F to 95 deg F
All other iPods and iPhone : 32 deg F to 95 deg F
Dell laptop: 32 deg F to 95 deg F
MacBook, pro, air 50 deg F to 95 deg F

... So what's the problem with the specs? I think that the author should've stated that the operating temps for the iPad was well within the normal range when compared to other devices.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
A radio is as good as it's antenna... common ham knowledge. A Faraday cage isn't improving radio signal transmissions at all.
As for the heatsink suggestions... Thermal radiation of a small IC case is negligible, a larger black heatsink would be better, but without airflow there is almost no convection, so a traditional heatsink is not of much use. So just conduction remains: a good thermal contact to the aluminium case it's all what is needed...
The displayed knowledge of physics, and especially thermodynamics is touching... with all those OC aficionados around.

Finally an article to the wintarded micro$uxx fankiddie herd's heart. After all the praise to the rotten fruit, hammered down in the last days, which has driven the aforementioned ilk almost mad, some reprieve is really helping...

rf88he102

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
@kingnoobe
not a fanboy and definitely have a good desktop, but i would recommend to go use one, and if you have well is still my opinion, thats why they made them.. so people that like them can buy them...

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]jamac666[/nom]This is what happens when you buy an Apple product![/citation]

Yeah, but only you turn into a total asshole because you think you're better than other people because you bought an iFad.

Status
Not open for further replies.