Two Early iPad Problems: Weak Wi-Fi, Overheating

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
[citation][nom]dheadley[/nom]I have a Dell laptop and a Acer netbook and while I do not own an iPad or any other Apple products, but I will be purchasing an iPad for my wife in the near future. Why? Because she has tried to use a laptop previously and recently tried the Acer netbook and she absolutely hates both of them almost as much as she hates her desktop. She wants something that she can use anywhere in the house and while she is doing other things. Sadly the laptop/netbook fail at this for the same reasons because they are both the same package design in different sizes. She wants something that she can flop on the couch with surf the web while she watches tv with the kids, sit on the laundry room table while she folds clothes, the kitchen counter while she fixes dinner. The whole clamshell laptop design is not casual friendly in this manner, they are cumbersome to hold on your lap when you flop down on the couch or sideways in an arm chair or lying on the bed etc. You have to conform to the equipment far more than the equipment conforms to your position.People that say that everything the iPad can do a netbook or a laptop can do better are not looking at the device for what it is, instead they are trying to fit it into the traditional computer role. The truth is 90% of home users have no use for a standard desktop or laptop. They only need to surf the web and check email. The touch screen and tablet format is far more usable in non-traditional computing situations than any clamshell design. Like my wife says, in her mind laptop/netbook designs are portable desktops that you have to use the same way on a horizontal surface to be comfortable.[/citation]
Surfing the web without flash makes for a poor web experience and spending $500++ for email is way too much. And because there is no flash you'll have a hard time shopping for something to replace it.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Yeah i live in Sydney Australia, tempts easily reach 45C+ in the shade![/citation]

that could be a problem. seriously though, max operational temp of 95F? you would need to need to leave it in in you're house ( and maybe the frigged) to be able to use it when you need it during the summer months.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Its like a GTX 480 without the graphical power.

On a more serious note, they should change the sleek back aluminum cover by a giant copper heat sink!

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Buy one of Thermaltake's or a similar company's passive cooling pads to use underneath, or perhaps someone will invent a mounting system to hook on the edges of the iPad to mount the cooling pad. Yes it will look horrendous by itself, by perhaps the portfolios I've seen can be re-engineered to include one of these passive cooling pads within them?

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
"The truth is 90% of home users have no use for a standard desktop or laptop. They only need to surf the web and check email."

Wut?

decepticon

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I wouldn't put it past Jobs to implement these "flaws" in the first iteration to take more of the market once they release the '2nd gen' of the iFail. You would think they would have tested these issues in quality control before they released it to the masses. Oh wait...doesn't apple have a track record of doing this with most of their products?

And 95 deg F? Seriously? The human body produces more heat...so holding it in your hands long enough could very well make it over heat?

enzo matrix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Apple products are like American hybrid cars:
No more fuel efficient than other good cars (mostly Japanese cars) but more expensive and have a tendency to give the owner a superiority complex. Or as South Park likes to call it "Smug".

audioee

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
Now introducing the iGriddle. All you fanboys can fry up an egg, make pancakes, or have a grilled cheese sandwich with you favorite company logo on it.

Bon Appetit!

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]Seriously rf.. Sounds a little fanboish. Surf betting then on a desktop. Um.. Get time to get a new desktop. Games. This is not a gaming machine it's not made for, and I doubt it will ever out do the psp. Although I'll admit I guess that's a bit synical of me but I don't see it. Not to mention for the price, I'd stick with a netbook.. Just saying.[/citation]

This is the end of reason as we know it. So as long as it's an Apple product, no one can buy it and like it without being a fanboy? I can't believe you don't see past that. He literally stated that he tried one and liked it, so he must be a fanboy. I suppose if you like a product you must be a fanboy...oh well.

Farewell to reason and sanity.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]decepticon[/nom]I wouldn't put it past Jobs to implement these "flaws" in the first iteration to take more of the market once they release the '2nd gen' of the iFail. You would think they would have tested these issues in quality control before they released it to the masses. Oh wait...doesn't apple have a track record of doing this with most of their products?And 95 deg F? Seriously? The human body produces more heat...so holding it in your hands long enough could very well make it over heat?[/citation]

1) I highly doubt that 95F is a max op temp, it's merely a warning so that it doesn't actually overheat. Although 95F is a low temperature, wait for R2 before you keep complaining.

2) Anatomy 101 - Your skin temp runs at around 70F, 96.8F is your interal temperature.

As for the device itself... my mom uses a Macbook for email, web browsing and online shopping. All of these she could easily do on an iPad, not to mention slightly more portability. She has a perfect use for an iPad, and if you don't then stop reading and commenting on these articles. Not to mention, indoor temps would not surpass 85F, it all depends on how you use it and weather or not the product fits YOU. If it doesn't then you don't buy one, you don't need to waste your life on the forums bashing it and anyone who has a use for it.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
if i log onto Tomshardware tomorrow and find the news list more than half full of apple bullshit, im never visiting this site again.

How fanboy-ish are you people? apple make products for the simple people. you're not a simple hardware site are you? maybe you should head over to Gizmodo or something like that for inspiration on new articles...

seriously, >50% apple news tomorrow, i quit.

decepticon

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]1) I highly doubt that 95F is a max op temp, it's merely a warning so that it doesn't actually overheat. Although 95F is a low temperature, wait for R2 before you keep complaining.2) Anatomy 101 - Your skin temp runs at around 70F, 96.8F is your interal temperature.[/citation]

Then why are there thermometers that can take your temp via your forehead, or the old fashioned way...under your armpit? Ok so the REAL old fashioned way is...ahem...internal....but never the less.

And for the record, I wasn't complaining about it's uses. It is useless to me since I have an iPod touch....and I am sure that many people have legitimate uses for it.

I just don't like apple's (jobs') business practices. You know they will release a '2nd gen' iPad within 6 months due to the 'issues' that 'cropped up' after it's initial release. I still say this is a way to get more money out of the apple fanatics who want this new (relative term) technology as soon as it is released.

NegativeX

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
[citation][nom]pdman[/nom]Let me see... After about 5 miutes of research:Operating temps:iPad 32 deg F to 95 deg FAll other iPods and iPhone : 32 deg F to 95 deg FDell laptop: 32 deg F to 95 deg FMacBook, pro, air 50 deg F to 95 deg F... So what's the problem with the specs? I think that the author should've stated that the operating temps for the iPad was well within the normal range when compared to other devices.[/citation]

Yes, but are any of those other products currently having issues with over heating?

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]seraphimcaduto[/nom]launch day and people are already looking for problems, could we do this for every product for every manufacturer? I don't care either way but if you are going to look for every problem on a launch product, do so equally.[/citation]
You rather no one talked about the problems and leave them in always? This was a very hyped, to the point of annoying the hell out of people, item, of course they will look for problems, and really overheating? That should be something QA should have checked for. As an FYI there are lots of people who check for problems in all newly launched items, just check the tech sites and their reviews which do point them all out, it's nothing new.

jnjkele

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
As a PC owner who uses an iPhone and has experience with apple products all the way back to the Mac Classic (no HDD anyone?), I certainly have my preferences that I won't bother to share since I'm sure no one cares. That said, the thing that really bothers me about this, and it is indicitave of Apple in general, is that they tend to sweep any problems under the rug and pretend they don't exist until V 2.0 comes out and 'fixes' the problems that 'were never there'. Apple has consistently denied issues with their products including iMacs (screen color problem?), 1st gen iPhone (dead touch screen?) and has gone so far as to delete thread posts, and entire disucssion threads from their own community forums. I guess the approval process for apple also includes the right to approve/reject reality. They are so worried about their image that they would damage it through idiotic things like denying issues with their products instead of manning up, admitting the problem and fixing it. It's not like apple couldn't afford to replace defective units with the bazillions of dollars they make.

This also applies to the apple faithful who are so dedicated that they refuse to admit that, just like any other electronic device or piece of software, Apple products have warts, they don't always work as advertised, and that the PC market doesn't have the corner on the problem market. (Biggest laugh I ever had was from a friend and mac fanboy when he booted is apple computer only to get a mac face with 'X's for eyes and a frown).

Yeah, I'm neither a PC nor a Mac, but at least I understand that both have issues, take your pick as per your preference.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
RF and Brendano, thank you for a breath of fresh air in this chain of hot air filled apple bashing. Really. Thank you.

So I'd just like to say stop harping on the overheating. Yes, its an issue. Yes, the weak wifi is an issue as well. Ones that obviously need to be addressed. However, stop acting like the only dirty hands are apples, and that everyone who has ever taken pleasure in owning, or using an apple product. "I like my iphone" Your a fanboy. "I like my macbook" Your a fan boy! "I like my ipod" FANBOY! "I like my iPad" FANBOI!! Seriously? Grow up. Me owning, or using, or operating an object, regardless of origin does not define who I am, or what my attitude will be like. You don't know me, so please, shut your mouth. Its natural for someone to like what the like, and suggest it to a friend. Some people are just more zealous than others. And yes, some might actually be "fanboys" however I would wager that they are actually few and far between. Most people don’t blow money because their favorite place has something new regardless if its worthless, but because they believe its worth it, despite flaws. Either that or they just impulse bought it, without doing proper research and/or testing. And for those sad people: Impulse = fail.

RF said he used the iPad, and liked it. End of story. That doesn't make him a fanboy, nor would he be a windows/amd/linux/nvidia/ati fanboy if he happened to buy one of their products. As long as HE believes he's getting something of value that is WORTH what he paid.. Why do or should you care? Don't buy the product. Don't read the articles. And instead, do something other than fill my eyes with the childish banter and product/company bashing that even I wouldn't expect from my 8 year old.

Now, on the lighter side.. I haven't seen the iPad yet, so I will reserve my opinion. I would like it to be useful to me, however I have no delusions of greatness there. If it does what I want it to, and well enough, AND if I think what it can do is worth that hefty price.. I'll bite. If not, I'll walk.

And with that, I'm out :D

Status
Not open for further replies.